Mobile apps not connecting to server

Hi. We recently set up a Rocket Chat server using Docker. It’s set up to bind to localhost:3000 over HTTP, which is reverse proxied over a secure tunnel to the edge, where it is served over HTTPS with a valid certificate (not self-signed). It’s all working on the web and desktop app.

When we enter our credentials into the mobile app however, the app gets stuck after tapping login (with valid credentials). It simply doesn’t do anything after that. Anyone got any ideas? We tried disabling 2FA but that didn’t work either.

Hi Asteria!

Welcome to our Community :hugs:

I have seen this kind of issue before, and it was due to TLS versions. If I recall, the server was forcing TLS 1.3, and some mobiles were not having it.

This will happen both on iOS and Android?

We have this doc with some examples on how to reverse proxy. Maybe this can help you.

Also, consider joining us in our Community Support Channel

1 Like

Thank you! This was the issue - we force TLS 1.3 on all connections to our edge. Degraded the minimum to 1.2 and now our mobiles are connecting. Is it something with the HTTP client library that the mobile apps use?

I was not able to determine it, but I believe this can is at OS level, as some mobile versions where connecting even with TLS 1.3 being forced.

I will try to look forward on this, as we can or improve the App or make a note about it at the reverse proxy docs.

It’s suggested in the nginx config, but maybe a good idea as you said to put a note at top of that page.

ssl_protocols TLSv1 TLSv1.1 TLSv1.2; # don’t use SSLv3 ref: POODLE

Nice, we’ll do that. Thanks!

Also, can you provide the versions and OS you have faced this Issue so our dev team can dig it further?

Thanks!

Latest versions of mobile apps & server. Server is running Ubuntu 20.04 on amd64. Thanks for all your help!

Ok, what about the Mobile itself?

Latest iOS version? Thanks!

1 Like

I’m on iOS 16 dev beta 2, but others on latest android and latest stable iOS are getting same issue.