Prune removed the messages from the private group yet they still appear in admin -> rooms and no disk space is cleared?

Description

I tried the prune feature for first time today. I didn’t put any dates as I wanted to delete all messages since this was just the off-topic channel so wanted everything cleared.

After a couple of minutes, and seeing messages being deleted before my eyes, it sayd 24k messages pruned.

However…

I did a du -sh on the rocketchat folder before and after and no space was cleared.

I also look in administration -> rooms tab and the 24k messages still remain.

The actual channel is now void of messages though so why has there been no space freed and why do they still show in the rooms section?

I tried logging out and in and still the same.

@aaron.ogle could you speak to this issue please?

Please don’t randomly mention someone.

Ok a few things. Messages are bytes to kilobytes in size. You aren’t going to see a drastic change. Mongo likely won’t even free anything since it’s already using compression.

To free space you’ll need to probably hit files.

Second… deleting messages does not delete rooms. So of course your rooms still exist.

If a message still shows up there in the room list the last message is stored on the room. If for some reason you don’t like seeing the last message on mobile… you can turn it off in settings with a setting called store last message.

I never knew that mentioning someone was a faux pas? You are on the rocketchat team so thought it logical to mention you. This is what I thought mentions were for…to get someone’s attention who would be most qualified to speak on a topic.

I didn’t ask about deleting rooms, don’t know how you got that from my post? If I wanted to delete the room I would have deleted it. I was asking about deleting the messages from the harddrive whilst keeping the room, thus clearing the messages from disk without having to delete and create the room again (and have to create new invite links on for it each time).

I guess I will just have to find a mongo solution to it then. I just don’t want thousands upon thousands of redundant messages hanging around the server, I want them cleaned from the machine. And what about for security purposes if you don’t want that stuff remaining around, there are many legitimate reasons for that.