Does Rocket.Chat delete read receipts after the messages or the rooms get deleted?

Description

We have noticed that our MongoDB storage keeps increasing. We used MongoDB collections.stats() to have an overview of our Replica Set and it turned out that the collection rocketchat_message_read_receipt occupied the most space (even more than rocketchat_uploads.chunks).

It seems to me that Rocket.Chat does not delete the messages’ read receipts even if the messages and the rooms are deleted (I checked using the source code on GitHub).

Can someone help me to clarify:

• Does Rocket.Chat ever deletes the read receipts?
  • If yes, please guide me if this feature has to be enabled alongside with enabling Read Receipts?
  • If no, do you know why Rocket.Chat decided to not implement that? Is it a bug or is it intentional?

There was also same problem asked How to shrink index of partly cleaned mongodb collection?.

ns size (in MB) count storageSize (in MB) totalIndexSize (in MB)
rocketchat_message_read_receipt 739 5663391 345 513
rocketchat_uploads.chunks 198 1091 192 0

Server Setup Information

• Version of Rocket.Chat Server: 3.12.7
  • Operating System: Ubuntu
  • Deployment Method: docker
  • Number of Running Instances: 3
  • DB Replicaset Oplog:
  • NodeJS Version:
  • MongoDB Version: 4.0.5
  • Proxy:
  • Firewalls involved:

Any additional Information

Thanks for your time!
Genzer

I think you totally right in that!

Hi @anton.karlan

Thanks! I came across your post initially and I was quite surprise that only a few posts regarding this topic. I guess not many people enabled the read receipts feature.

However, I want to know from Rocket.Chat team if this is a deliberate decision to not deleting read receipt or this is a missing feature.

Please, upgrade… It won’t cure this, but your version is unsupported!!

No idea but I think a lot of installs are pretty small and it isn’t a big issue, assuming they have even enabled it.

You could add a feature request if here isn’t one already - Anton do you know if there was one?

Agree with you. Let’s wait for team answer!

Nope, I didn’t saw something like this before.

OK,

Please check carefully in github, and if you find nothing please add a feature request here, and make sure you add a link to this post please.

Thanks.