Plugin for Captive Notifications

Hello,

I am looking for a plugin that will allow a certain user group to send a special type of noticiation that will “take over” the recipients chat screen and must be acknowledged.

Does anyone know of a plugin or project that does something similar? I have looked around but haven’t found anything promising yet.

Thanks in advance.

Server Setup Information

• Version of Rocket.Chat Server: 3.18.7
  • Operating System: Ubuntu
  • Deployment Method: Snap
  • Number of Running Instances: 1
  • NodeJS Version: v12.22.1
  • MongoDB Version: 3.6.14 / wiredTiger (oplog Enabled)
  • Proxy: Caddy
  • Firewalls involved: Yes

Hi!

I don’t think we have this right now, but from what I understood, I believe it may be accomplished with an App.

Is it something like: before sending any message to a channel, a regular user needs to accept some terms, according to what is specified. Only owners/moderators, etc will be able to create those captive alerts, right?

Dudanogueira,

Thanks for the reply! You are correct, only owners/moderators will be able to send this type of notification. Many of the notifications we send our users are time sensetive, and I need an effective way to get their attention.

Are you saying that a plugin like this exists, or that this could theoretically be accomplished with an app?

Sean

Another option I am exploring is a bot/app that will send a message every few seconds (to whatever room/channel/conversation the user is in) until the message is acknowledged.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Sean

I don’t know of such app. But it would be fun to build it.

I believe it could take control of rooms (need to check in deep with the App Engine).
New messages to this room will only be allowed after acknowledging this captive message, or maybe replying something

This is can be an interesting feature.

so, let’s say the authorized role can run:
/captive

It would open a modal, for filling with a message, and optionally a duration, actual room or other rooms.
After submit, the rooms will be blocked, and the user can only send messages after acknowledging it. Also, the user can receive a message in direct.

You can also do it using only APIs, but it would need something external to control the messages, targets and acknowledgements, and something “cronly” to run this tasks frequently.