Introducing SNAP Tracks!

Is anyone else not able to install 3.x using snap anymore? I’m in the process of migrating our instance over to a new server and want to be able to move things over as 3.x before upgrading.

This was working yesterday.

snap install rocketchat-server --channel=3.x
error: snap "rocketchat-server" is not available on 3.x/stable but is available to install on the
       following channels:

3.x/candidate  snap install --channel=3.x/candidate rocketchat-server
       3.x/beta       snap install --channel=3.x/beta rocketchat-server
       3.x/edge       snap install --channel=3.x/edge rocketchat-server

Please be mindful pre-release channels may include features not completely tested or
       implemented. Get more information with 'snap info rocketchat-server'.

Trying the other ones listed (candidate, beta, edge) just gives the same error but 4.x and on does not.

Hello all.
I would like to go from the stable 3.x.x track (3.18.7 is currently installed) to the stable 6.x.x track. I have a few questions about this.

• Should I make the step to the 6.x.x track via the 4.x.x and the 5.x.x track?
  • Will the engines like MongoDB and Node be updated automatically?
  • Will my configuration, including the installed channels and chats and their content, be retained during the upgrade?
    Of course, I would back up MongoDB before the upgrade.
    It would be great if you could answer my questions, because otherwise I would rather follow the motto “never touch a running system”.
    Or is there perhaps a guide somewhere on what I need to consider when changing the snap track and how to proceed.
    Many thanks

When I was testing this before, I had to do 3.x → 4.x → 5.x → 6.x to make it work. Your channels, chats, etc. will stick around and MongoDB and Node will upgrade themselves along with RocketChat.

Hi, i have problem with upgrade via snap.
i start from 3.x version to 4.x, then to 5.x - to this point is all ok.
now, i have problem with jump to latest 6.x version.

root@webserver:~# snap info rocketchat-server
name: rocketchat-server
summary: Rocket.Chat server
publisher: Rocket.Chat (rocketchat✓)
license: unset
description: |
commands:

• rocketchat-server.backupdb
  • rocketchat-server.mongo
  • rocketchat-server.restoredb
    services:
    rocketchat-server.rocketchat-caddy: simple, enabled, inactive
    rocketchat-server.rocketchat-mongo: forking, enabled, active
    rocketchat-server: simple, enabled, active
    snap-id: wdBUbiEuMNHmAHLBCXQXOcXaOCvbWS1e
    tracking: latest/stable
    refresh-date: today at 06:58 CEST
    channels:
    6.x/stable: 6.2.1 2023-05-17 (1554) 317MB -
    6.x/candidate: ↑
    6.x/beta: ↑
    6.x/edge: 6.2.1 2023-05-17 (1554) 317MB -
    latest/stable: 6.1.5 2023-04-26 (1547) 326MB -
    latest/candidate: ↑
    latest/beta: ↑
    latest/edge: ↑
    5.x/stable: 5.4.10 2023-05-17 (1555) 301MB -
    5.x/candidate: 5.4.4 2023-03-09 (1540) 300MB -
    5.x/beta: 5.4.4 2023-03-09 (1540) 300MB -
    5.x/edge: 5.4.10 2023-05-17 (1555) 301MB -
    4.x/stable: 4.8.7 2022-12-04 (1533) 281MB -
    4.x/candidate: ↑
    4.x/beta: ↑
    4.x/edge: ↑
    installed: 5.4.10 (1555) 301MB -
    root@webserver:~#

root@webserver:~# sudo snap switch rocketchat-server --channel=6.x/stable
“rocketchat-server” switched to the “6.x/stable” channel

root@webserver:~# sudo snap refresh rocketchat-server
2023-05-19T07:03:26+02:00 INFO Waiting for “snap.rocketchat-server.rocketchat-mongo.service” to stop.
error: cannot perform the following tasks:

• Start snap “rocketchat-server” (1554) services (systemctl command [start snap.rocketchat-server.rocketchat-mongo.service] failed with exit status 1: Job for snap.rocketchat-server.rocketchat-mongo.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
    See “systemctl status snap.rocketchat-server.rocketchat-mongo.service” and “journalctl -xe” for details.
    )
1 Like

well thats a concern for me too

I’m not entirely sure why it would update more frequently. It’s possible that you can adjust the time interval at which it checks for updates. If you’ve performed a snap refresh recently, it might have inadvertently altered the update checking schedule. I don’t have precise information on how snapd refresh mechanisms work nowadays, so I recommend checking the documentation or contacting the snapd support team for more specific details on how to configure or troubleshoot the update frequency.