Why I'm leaving Rocket Chat & Finding Alternatives

Sorry, I wasn’t trying to say that it wasn’t getting fixed, etc. I wasn’t simply trying to express why workarounds are an absurd idea for this case, or why forcing my users to use the app is a no go in many situations. I felt I already expressed that why it wasn’t a solution in previous replies, as well as the fact that directing to the app is not a solution, nor should it even be implied as a solution for many reasons.

I’m not asking for features to be added, or fixed. I’m requesting for basic navigation to work correctly, there is a big difference. If this was a feature issue, I would understand workarounds, etc. As for use case, hardware etc., open.rocket.chat has had the same issues all this time. This isn’t a hardware, or setup issue, it’s an issue with rocket.chat code.

As stated before, I am not that kind of developer, and I have offered to pay someone over on github to fix it, with no response. To be honest, nobody should have to ‘fix it themselves’ when they aren’t the ones getting millions in funding, and you have paying customers. Like it or not, this is paid software with a revenue stream. Fixing basic navigational issues should not be put on the users that beta test the software for you and report the issues.

I agree that if I want a feature, I should add it myself, and if I choose to, share it. But core functionality should not be passed on to an end user who may or may not have the resources or knowledge to fix it, when Rocket Chat clearly should have the funds and resources to fix their own software when it comes to core functionality such as navigation.

Open source is great, and I appreciate the hard work Rocket Chat does and all it’s developers, but there is a line where Rocket Chat should not be saying “fix it yourself”, and core functionality that doesn’t even work on their own setup should be the line.

I’m looking forward to the fixes, thank you.

Thought I would also add this here. This is the bug report for part of the navigation issues I reported back in may. This issue happens with private channels as well as group channels.

And another navigational issue I reported with user cards. It seems the user card at least pops up not, but the “view full profile” link still isn’t working.

Hi! Thanks for pointing out. We are going to have an Open Call next week, and you are welcome to participate:

This quarter is all about fixing those kind of issues. So hang tight, we will get there :slight_smile:

@serviceman

There’s no need for you to be rude. I was trying to point out some information that I thought might have been helpful. I have a small installation, so if part of my user base ran into the problem and all they had to do was tap “open the desktop site”, I would tell them to do that.

I was also trying to understand your situation. You didn’t mention that you would need to “skin” a Rocket Chat app and that fact isn’t obvious from anything you posted here. Nor is it obvious that you mean the browser version when you write “Rocket Chat has been full of bugs on iphone for over a year now.”

It’s not absurd at all to expect iOS/Android users to download an app. Many products and services require download an app with no alternative. My users have the app on their phones and we haven’t had any issues.

The “phone that works” culture revolves around apps and the OS - not web pages. There are countless web pages or web technologies that don’t work on an iPhone.

If I was any of the customers listed on rocket.chat, such as the British Columbia government…

I don’t think government offices are a good example of what you are talking about. In my experience working with government offices, the amount of workarounds for basic tasks is astonishing. And when they want you to use an app, they aren’t going to discuss a browser version. You install the app.

Of course, I agree that such bugs should be prioritized and fixed. But you don’t help anyone by being rude.

Good luck and I hope it all gets worked out.

1 Like

The image upload issue has been confirmed by other github users, I was told it would be fixed multiple times, and I posted a hack for, but it’s still present in your system all this time later.

I have a pr with the fix open. It’s in the process of passing through QA.

Ps: would be good if you guys could test and comment in the pr directly.

The pr is linked to the issue in question.

okay, thanks for the reply.. .

8 months since this saga started and the very same issues that make rocket chat broken software with ANY iPhone still exist. Are there any plans to fix this, ever?

Sorry if I missed something in the thread. We, for sure, should fix this issue. But could you help me to understand why you are not using our native mobile apps? We put much more effort on them for mobile than on the web version since they are the way to go on mobile. We may even remove support for web mobile in the future, so I’d like to understand your decision.

I don’t use the app because I use the chat as a chat service on my dating networks. I have been able to add links for profiles on the user card with some use of javascript. Requiring the use of your apps would require my users to first download an app, which is not very user-friendly, considering I don’t have apps for my sites in the first place. Removing mobile support for the standard rocket chat install directly conflicts with Google’s mobile-first way of doing things. 80% of internet usage is on the phone, in a browser. I would guess you would break a lot of use cases for users if mobile usability is removed. While an app is nice, it should never be required to use a service. Could you imagine if Facebook or google required an app in order to use their service on a phone, they would go out of business overnight. If removing mobile usability completely is in the cards, it would be nice to know so I, and many others, could move to another platform.