VPS Install help

Hi I a VPS with Ubuntu 16.04 LTS installed and I have got Rocket Chat installed and running and I can access it OK from:

IP Address:3000 & example.comain.com:3000 without any problems but when I try and just access it via the domain name with any port number it will not go to the https website address.

I have edited the Caddyfile with the domain and did a restart using sudo systemctl restart snap.rocketchat-server.rocketchat-caddy as instructed but when I do a check using sudo systemctl status snap.rocketchat-server.rocketchat-caddy this is outputed:

root@localhost:~# sudo systemctl status snap.rocketchat-server.rocketchat-caddy

● snap.rocketchat-server.rocketchat-caddy.service - Service for snap application rocketchat-server.rocketchat-caddy
Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/snap.rocketchat-server.rocketchat-caddy.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: inactive (dead) (Result: exit-code) since Tue 2018-01-02 18:33:37 UTC; 50s ago
Process: 2360 ExecStart=/usr/bin/snap run rocketchat-server.rocketchat-caddy (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
Main PID: 2360 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Jan 02 18:33:37 localhost systemd[1]: snap.rocketchat-server.rocketchat-caddy.service: Unit entered failed state.
Jan 02 18:33:37 localhost systemd[1]: snap.rocketchat-server.rocketchat-caddy.service: Failed with result ‘exit-code’.
Jan 02 18:33:37 localhost systemd[1]: snap.rocketchat-server.rocketchat-caddy.service: Service hold-off time over, scheduling restart.
Jan 02 18:33:37 localhost systemd[1]: Stopped Service for snap application rocketchat-server.rocketchat-caddy.
Jan 02 18:33:37 localhost systemd[1]: snap.rocketchat-server.rocketchat-caddy.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
Jan 02 18:33:37 localhost systemd[1]: Failed to start Service for snap application rocketchat-server.rocketchat-caddy.
root@localhost:~#

Any help would be appreciated as I have it running without any problems on my testing dedicated server but not on this VPS.

Thanks

You should put Rocket Chat behind a Reverse Proxy like nginx, caddy, apache etc… and ONLY open ports 80, 443 and 22.

I run rocket chat via Docker sitting behind nginx.

I managed to get it sorted thanks.

Moved away from a VPS to a dedicated server and worked without any problems.

Thanks

1 Like

VPS vs bare metal shouldn’t matter. Something is weird with whatever you were doing.

Usually… but if its over provisioned vps resources that you are supposed to have might not truly be available. Buggy underlying host OS could cause issues.

I’d have probably tried a new VPS first, but bare metal will likely be able to squeeze a bit more performance out if you do need it :slight_smile:

That’s what I thought but that’s not the way it works in real life. I could not get Rocket Chat operational in whatever form possible (Docker, Snap, manual install, Ubuntu, CentOS, you name it). I almost had no hair left and decided to get a VPS from a different webhost. Presto worked right away! The other company provisioned their VPS instances in such a way that Rocket Chat could not work.

Because I am not a real spamlover myself I will not publish the names of both companies, but if there are people who also have problems and want to know what provider I am using they can always message me.

1 Like

I have NEVER had an issue with Rocket Chat. I ran it from DigitalOcean and now I run on the Rackspace’s public cloud (openstack) platform. Both of which are running in Docker via Docker Compose.

+1

I have tried various hosts and various deployments.

99.9% of problems are due to proxies… (possibly firewalls) caused by lack of knowledge snd ignoring documentation on proxies.

Of the other 0.1% of problems, 99.9% are caused by lack of knowledge and ignoring documentation, period.

What gets me most is the number of people selling IT services - “professionals” - who get stuck on this stuff.

Anyway, if in doubt or stuck, RTFM, and then have a good search. That’s all I did…

2 Likes