Dear Rocket.Chat community
We want to make it very clear that what we are imposing right now is just the registration requirements for sending push notifications and not the limits on how many notifications can be sent. This requirement has already been stated over a year and a half ago, and we just haven’t imposed it until now. So we believe we have given enough time for people to prepare for this change.
Having said that, we apologize for the confusion we may have caused. We should have been more clear about the next steps and future options for continuing to use push notifications.
- We will extend the grace period to enforce the registration in 2 weeks, from July 31st to August 14th, in order to solve any remaining issues in the registration process and give you all enough time to finish the process.
- We will add the push notification count to the statistics on the admin panel, both daily and monthly usage, so the server admin will know in advance the current usage and trend with enough time to make a decision on how to address the usage.
- We will not enforce the limit to the push notification gateway usage without a sufficient transition period of at least one month, in some cases more if requested.
- We will always allow organizations and communities to build and use their own mobile apps with their own credentials to send push notifications directly to Apple and Google.
- We will increase the push notification limit of the PRO edition from 10k to 25k push notifications per month.
- We will continue to support Non-Governmental Organizations, Educational Institutions and Open-source Communities by providing special discounts.
- We will increase to 5k the free push notifications for any registered servers, that from actual metrics this will cover the needs of over 80% of the active servers.
After hearing the concerns from our community about the big investment step that moving from the 1k free push notifications to a PRO license represents to non-profits, small organizations, individuals, and communities, we decided to provide an extra option: A few months ago we created several sponsorship tiers on Github. So to make the sponsorship more rewarding, we will increase the limit by 5k push notifications per month for a server of contributors of 5 USD per month and extra 10k for contributors of 10 USD or more.
The 10k limit will cover the needs of over 90% of the active servers. We believe this is a great way to not impose unreasonable costs on our awesome community while incentivizing everyone to support the project they use and love, making it grow even faster.
IMPORTANT: We are still trying to define how we will be able to automate this process, but most likely, we will have to move the sponsorship options away from Github into our marketplace that already has this functionality.
IMPORTANT: We are also looking into adding to the sponsorship plans, the full encryption of the push notification messages, a feature that was only available for the enterprise license, but we need to figure out some technical details about how to do so.
I trust you understand at all we are doing is working hard to make rocket.chat grow better every day, and we do need your support to do it.