Update 6.0.0 Read Receipts Complaint

Just for reference, here is the change:

4 Likes

How about re-enabling the old version in the community edition? If they don’t accept the PR we still can fork. In the meantime there should be enough people interested in that.

Edit: actually most of the code is still under MIT license. Can’t be so hard to re-implement the bit of EE code.

2 Likes

I’ve moved back to Matrix/Element. Works like a charm.

I was using it 3 years before, when I’ve moved to RocketChat because Element did not support Voice Messages and they periodically had E2EE issues.

Now E2EE works fine, Voice messages are there and OIDC with Keycloak works like a charm. Jitsi integration also works, and in direct chats the other side rings when called via Video/Audio call, using CallKit. RC promised this since >2 years and it never happened.

3 Likes

I don’t think they will accept such a PR. They intentionally decided to kick the community in the a**. It was not by mistake.

Maintaining an own fork … what for? It’s a huge workload to stay in sync with the main project, and at some point the next features will be removed to EE.

RocketChat should have the balls to end calling it “Open Source” at some point and sell it as a fully proprietary project, like Stashcat or others. I much more like honest companies over these running a red herring. That way the Open Source contributors could concentrate their energy on real Open Source projects like Matrix/Element or Zulip instead of being complimentary workers for a money-grubbing company. Just my 2 cent.

7 Likes

Should this function work if I have less than 200 users?

No, it doesn’t work at all no matter how many users you have unless you pay for it now. At the community chat when this was brought up, we were all advised to talk to sales if we wanted read receipts back.

Opensource has been the way to go. Community driven. That is why we went with RocketChat for years. We have also installed 15 to 20 community servers for small businesses in Houston. We have recently upgraded them and now they don’t see if users have seen their messages. This is like going backwards. Please bring it back.

3 Likes

Dear Rocketchat community,
We have been RC users since almost the beginning during the good releases and buggy releases. As an MSP we have set up many installs of the community edition. We have followed RocketChat for years. I understand that everyone needs money. We were with Rocket Chat before most of their sales staff. If you feel your opinion regarding the changes in version 6 is not heard, you can voice it on multiple review platforms. It’s very difficult, because we have been with RC for a long time.

Sending a message to someone and not knowing if they received it and read it is not communication.

Rocket Chat staff, please remember that Microsoft Teams shows read receipts.

4 Likes

Just getting around to installing this and it seems so difficult to install, upgrade and even register. But I was told to persevere as it is a good product. I’m now wondering if the hassle installing is worth it if I can lose functionality so easily.

It is a pity as I liked the functionality and the installation hassles were only going to be up front.

I’ll look around for a little longer.

Have been testing Zulip for a couple of days and it’s difficult to judge if it’s overall better or worse than RocketChat. I’m not sure a switch to that platform is for us or at work, as it is right now. Of course it’s positive that price model is clear and as-it-seems the future strategy is much clearer than what we experience with Rocket Chat at the moment.

1 Like

I have made the switch to Zulip and I’m not looking back. The import process was a bit painful due to RocketChat not having a good method for exporting data. Using a mongodump of our server which was roughly 22GB in size required a server with 64GB of RAM to do the data conversion. Once the conversion was done, the actual import of the data was easy. Zulip seems to have a much more responsive community and I’m looking forward to its continued development.

Goodbye RC! I’ve canceled my sponsorship! :wave: :money_with_wings:

7 Likes

@88fingerslukee Would you mind to share the method/scripts you have used to move the history from rchat to zulip? I am going into that direction. Without read receipt it makes no sense to keep using rocketchat which is unfortunate since I saw it evolve from the beginning.

2 Likes

I used the instructions for a self-hosted server on the Zulip website.

Just make sure you have enough RAM to do the data conversion because it is incredibly resource intensive. My 22GB DB dump (lots of attachments) took almost all of of a server with 64GB of RAM. After the conversion, though, the server doesn’t require nearly that much to import and run.

3 Likes

This is a huge mistake. There is no chat client without read reciept. I was able to update Rocket but first I had creted snapshot with 5.4.5 version. If there is no read reciept for community anymore I will switch to another chat client. We are very old users till v.1
I am realy disapointed.
Please dont touch core functionality for community why open source is not open anymore. Just a ransome.

2 Likes

Sending users to give negative reviews on enterprise software review sites is detrimental to the whole community. It impacts the sustainability of the project and is also incorrect: enterprise software review sites reviews are meant for Enterprise features, and not for the lack of any feature on free.

Also, please update your username to reflect your ID, using rocketchat may confuse people into thinking that this is an official account.

G2 is not only for the enterprise version. It clearly also refers to the free community version.

Detrimental, no, toxic for the community is to remove basic features from the community edition, and to promote major version upgrades with bugfixes. Unbelievable. I do open source software since almost 30 years, I never experienced this. Either most of the community will move away, or there will be a fork.

4 Likes

Please understand that we installed Rocket chat for 15+ companies because we felt RocketChat was a better solution for small businesses than Slack or Teams. At the prompt of RocketChat’s notifications inside the chat portals, we upgraded each of our customers and they immediately lost functionality they relied on for communication. That upgrade hurt our customers efficiency. The Enterprise version requires a 25 user minimum. That’s not cost option for SMBs. :sob:

Also, I do not see an edit option for the username in my preferences. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

How many users do you have on each of those 15+ workspaces?

We are considering a new option for SMBs, so I’d like to understand your use case and budget constraints if possible.

If you’re running a Community Edition Rocket.Chat workspace and have not updated to Rocket.Chat v.6 due to ‘Read Receipts’ being only available in our Enterprise Edition, please fill in this survey so we can better understand your profile and intended use of Rocket.Chat.

1 Like

Please don’t only think about businesses. There are many non- or negative-profit communities out there. You cannot get any money from them, but a lot of free marketing. We - for example - are a hobbyist samba group, 70 users, bateria and dancers. We pay already a lot for our hobbies. We can’t afford paying even more for a chat platform. There are many communities like that. Either you offer them a free option with good functionality, or they will move elsewhere, and you lose that user base, that doesn’t bring any money, but a lot of spread of word.

8 Likes