Update 6.0.0 Read Receipts Complaint

Our team have also already started looking for alternatives as it’s one of the main features available elsewhere… RocketChat without read receipts is more similar to IRC rather than the modern messaging tool. Please return the Read Receipts to the CE…

We’ve even thought on creating bot using:

to check the message status… But it feels like reinventing the wheel…

2 Likes

I created an account just to respond to this, can you please bring back the read receipt as a free feature? My team and I really only use rocketchat for the basic chat with channel functionality and read receipt is an integral feature of the chat which we very frequently rely on to make sure that our messages are delivered, whether the other party is offline or online.

Please bring it back :pleading_face:

3 Likes

Question out of curiosity. If you decide to stay on the latest 5.x.x version you can still enjoy read receipts?

Yes, but it won’t get security patches once it reaches EOL.

1 Like

Hello.
if i cant to check Read Receipts,i have to change IM Technology.
Please return the Read Receipts to the CE.

2 Likes

Today I found this, and I immediately had to think of Rocket.Chat. I wonder why…

3 Likes

I don’t have a problem paying for RC, let’s call it a Community Pro license. Right now my focus is on private use with family and friends, so a budget friendly private use fee would be ok.
Next focus for me was at work, for a nice sized team. But I don’t feel that RC is mature enough for that, and the way features are being sliced in the community edition, I think the team behind RC is making clear statements on what kind of customer-base they’re really interested in. And without the community customers, enterprise customers will be affected as well. But in quality but also in features.
I really like RC but for me the boat is sinking, forcing me to find an alternative. Preferably one which can import our current channels, users etc.

3 Likes

Wow, I’ve made the mistake updating my server, was confronted with complaints from family and friends about the receipts not working anymore … and found this.

I’m absolutely shocked (to use a word which is within a polite range, my feelings are different right now). This is the final nail into RocketChat’s coffin for me.

RC has fully left what we call OpenSource. I’m not sure who makes these kind of decisions without a proper solution for community users.

It is absolutely distracting removing all time existing features from OpenSource software just to ransom users!

But RocketChat seems to continue their path.

1. Push messages has been hardly limited. That was a point which I still understood, because infrastructure costs money. Could be avoided to compile the mobile app by ourselves (causing yearly costs for Apple Dev)

2. Existing LDAP feature have been removed with no good reason

3. Now the basic read receipts are next.

A feature every basic open source messaging solution has implemented.

And there is still no solution for community users like paying $5 per month for the own server to have a basic feature set. People who are using RC for their family, friends and non-profit organizations.

My trust into RC is fully gone. Please never call this Open Source, real Open Source guys will get pain looking at this.

So I need to tell my folks that they will loose a few days of messages because I need to revert to a V5.x backup. Next is asking which of my existing alternatives will suit them most. Element/Matrix or Nextcloud Talk. Maybe having a look at Zulip.

That was too much, RocketChat! :rage:

It has been some good years, but apart from the fact that read receipts are essentially needed (so there is no choice to stay with RocketChat) I finally meanwhile have Zero trust in this company. There is no hope they bring this feature back, they never brought something back which was stolen from the so called “Open Source” version. And they don’t care at all about the community - we were asking since 2 years for a kind of affordable community fee for essential features.

Interesting what features will be stolen in V7. Maybe rooms with more than 3 persons. Nobody knows.

I’ll not know at all. Migration to Element started, Apple dev account cancelled by end of the paid period. What a pity for all my work getting my apps into the official stores. Smashed by greedy sales persons.

Cheers and goodbye!

8 Likes

I’m still evaluating Rocket.Chat for my application. Whitelabeled, customized app came trough on the Apple AppStore and as I was pretty close to release. Today I decided to switch to version 6 train to check all the functionality and get ready for deployment. Yeah, good thing I always make a snapshot of the VM before doing major updates. Back to v5 again.

I was planning to upgrade to the Enterprise version at time of deployment. But basic feature removal like read receipts made me rethink the whole solution. If that decision is not reversed, I’ll be looking for another solution.

2 Likes

Hi Christopher,

Did you make any decisions regarding the Read Receipts on the recent Community Open Call? What is your (as the RocketChat developers) view on this problem?

2 Likes

Yes, I reverted back to 5.4.5 and the read receipts were back.

1 Like

Strange thing is, that on a call with Rocket chat sales team, we were told that read receipts will still work if you have fewer than 200 users. Are your experiencing this with fewer users than 200?

1 Like

Sure. I’ve had 48 users on my instance. All read receipts gone and not working after update to V6.

5 Likes

Really sad to see this change. The concept of a checkmark as a read feature is a basic feature, that is supported by all respected messenger services / chat platforms.

By removing this feature rocketchat is positioning itself as a worse alternative. Sad to see. Not really in the spirit of Open Source :confused:

7 Likes

Echoing what everyone else has said, because there’s nothing else to do really, and I want this thread to continue.

This change is such a bummer. I use rocket.chat as a self-hosted and privacy oriented way to replace texting or any other 3rd party service and simply use it for two users, myself and my wife.

We have grown to love it and have used it for a couple of years with no issues whatsoever.

On the one hand, it’s their software and they can do what they want, but pushing out the small users that helped spread the word on the software just seems so rude. They could take away 3/4ths of the other features that for some reason we still have and I wouldn’t care at all. But read-receipts are essential for any chat program, period.

However, the pricing options (or lack thereof) are the real kicker here.

There appears to be no option for someone like us. I would be more than happy to kick $5 a month your way to enable this feature and support the project. But in order to have a basic feature that literally every other platform has, I have to become an enterprise. I don’t get it.

Actively searching for a suitable replacement.

5 Likes

Those moving away from Rocket Chat because of this bad decision, what are you moving to?

3 Likes

I’m evaluating Zulip (https://zulip.com/) so far it looks good.

Everything in Zulip has to be under topic.

We need to train muscle memory that, now there is no root channel (stream in zulip) level discussions. You got to select topic for the message.

So I have created general as topic in each Streams, which are discussions without any topics.

But Topics are so powerful and handy!

3 Likes

Thanks for this recommendation. Everyone reading this thread should consider Zulip and similar open-source projects as a replacement for Rocket.Chat.

I now understand the open-source aspect of Rocket.Chat is simply a marketing tactic, described excellently by @reetp as “OSINO - Open Source In Name Only”.

2 Likes

Is there any way of exporting/importing data from Rocket into Zulip, which works?

2 Likes

They say we can Import from RocketChat to Zulip. See this docs Import from Rocket.Chat | Zulip help center

Worth looking carefully at Import details section as it mentions what and how things are imported. But mostly it imports almost everything.

(I have not tried the import yet)

2 Likes