Translation support from the Community for the Mobile Apps, we need your help!

Dear Rocket.Chat community,

Over the past almost 2 years we’ve been developing the native apps of Rocket.Chat for iOS with the help from our community. We really want to make sure that our users have the best experience, no matter what part of the world they live in. All the support for languages that we (the mobile team) don’t natively speak has been amazingly done by you, the community!

We now have support for 11 languages in our iOS app and 8 languages in our Android app, and need your help to expand the language support of the apps and to maintain it. All the support we had over this time was given by very kind people from the community that went to our project in GitHub and submitted pull-requests with the changes.

We are very thankful for every contributor and now we want to open this opportunity to the larger community to further improve our translations. If you can help us translate, we can use your help. You do not even have to be fluent with how to use Github, we will help you.

What we need?

We know that many of you are willing to help with the translation if you had the opportunity and we think that’s the chance. We want to create a group of people that we can count on in order to prepare the strings on their native speaking language before we release a new version to all users. We need candidates for these languages:

• English
  • German
  • Japanese (1 slot)
  • Greek (2 slots)
  • Spanish (2 slots)
  • French (2 slots)
  • Polish (2 slots)
  • Portuguese (Portugal) (2 slots)
  • Portuguese (Brazil)
  • Russian (1 slot)
  • Ukrainian (2 slots)
  • Dutch (1 slot)
  • Persian (1 slot)
  • Your language is not here? Great, contact me and we can add support to your language as well!

How is this going to work?

If you want to help us with one (or more) language, contact me at rafael.kellermann@rocket.chat and I’ll give you further instructions. We are still working on the update schedule, the current plan is by ~20th of each month we’re going to send you the list of strings that needs to be translated and you’ll have about 10 days to help us doing that.

Thank you very much for all the support!

2 Likes

I don’t have an iphone, but I am more than willing to translate your language files into Dutch.

2 Likes

Awesome!!! The translations are for iOS and Android, you don’t need to have a device, just a computer to translate the strings! Please, send me an email to rafael.kellermann@rocket.chat so I can send you more info.:slight_smile:

Hi, I would love to help translate what you have into Norwegian, so this may also be added to the list of supported languages.

Me and my team just starte using this app, and its GREAT!

Let me know how I can help, and how to proceed with translations

That’s awesome, @ole.martin.odland!

You’ll need to copy this file and create a version for your language.
Also add it here
And here

Let me know if you need help.
Thanks!

I didn’t see your announce, i tried to propose an update for french few days ago :

It’s not perfect, few strings are missing, but my users who don’t speak english desespertly need something to be done.

We just released 4.10 and 4.11 stable might take a while, as we’re working on E2E encryption as its main feature.
Does your users use iOS or Android?
I can release an early version of 4.11 on the Experimental app for them.
WDYT?

1 Like

Sure, it would be great !!!

But i saw some spelling error in my translation, i made some fix and i reordered all the strings to follow the same order than the english version :

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/nixxou/Rocket.Chat.ReactNative/develop/app/i18n/locales/fr.js

Hi there, if you need i can help you for translate into italian language, app & desktop.

Sure!
We do have italian on the app already but it’s outdated.

We plan to add Lingohub to the app really soon, which is going to help you guys to contribute to our projects.

Hello! I can help us with the Spanish translations! Currently I am already collaborating on the translations to Spanish on the server through LingoHub.

I have sent an email to rafael.kellermann@rocket.chat but it doesn’t seem to exist anymore.
How can I help you?

Regards.

@scrat That’s great!
We added our mobile app to LingoHub as well recently.
I can invite you, if you aren’t there yet.
Thanks.

Yes please @diegolmello, I can’t edit in the Rocket.Chat.ReactNative project.

Thanks!

Sure. I need your email address to send you an invite.

Hi, I would like to help translate to Slovenian. With my team just started using this app.
Let me know how I can help, and how to proceed with translations
Regards
Miro

Hi Miro! I will send a message to you so we can arrange it!

Thanks!

hey, I can help with Ukrainian language

how to contribute the Arabic language also ?

Hi rafael,
I might have a suggestion for you.
Your initiative to expand language support in Rocket.Chat is commendable!
Have you considered utilizing AI translation tools to assist in preparing initial translations? These tools can streamline the process, making it easier for contributors to refine and improve specific language translations.