SMTP Settings not working

Hey everyone,
I have a question regarding a fresh installed rc-server. I entered valid smtp email settings and tried to send me a test email. But the only thing I’ve got is this notification: Error - Error while trying to send an email: Greeting never received. The first part is my translation. Anyway, no matter what smtp settings I enter, I always end up getting that message. When I google it, I find different problems, some regarding to an old issue with the nodemailer, some regarding to an old bug with the release candidate from last year. I hope you guys can help me. Here are my specs and logs:
I am using the snap container, so it should be up to date: 0.69.2 and Node version 8.11.3

[34mI20180924-15:32:56.336(2) Sending test email to …
[34mI20180924-15:32:56.342(2) The $MAIL_URL is ‘smtp://…:465’. You probably want ‘smtps://’ (The ‘s’ enables TLS/SSL) since ‘465’ is typically a secure port. undefined
[34mI20180924-15:33:28.351(2) Sending test email to …
[34mI20180924-15:45:27.730(2) Sending test email to …
[34mI20180924-15:53:55.683(2) Updating process.env.MAIL_URL
[34mI20180924-15:54:00.167(2) Sending test email to …

I also tried smtps, of course, but then I get: Mail command failed.
If you have any ideas, it’s much appreciated!
Best,
Heye

We’re doing IP auth to our inhose smtp gateway and it worked without issue. Maybe try that first? I left username/password blank and just put the IP address in the host field.

Thanks for the advice bbrendon. But I don’t see a setting like this in rocketchat and the smtp server I use is not inhouse. So I can’t setup anything there. The error message always comes with a certain delay, let’s say between 10 and 15 seconds. So I think it might be the result of a time-out. So I temporarily disabled the firewall, but nothing changed. What am I missing? What am I doing wrong here?

I would set up a small local mailer such as ssmtp as proxy to your smart relay. So you can configure RC without any TLS and ssmtp does the TLS transport to your smart relay. I use sendmail as local mailer (only listening on localhost), so you have a full local log file of outgoing emails and better logging in case of email problems.

I know it’s been a while, but I was quite busy. I thought about the sendmail solution, but something inside me didn’t want to go there. I mean, if nothing helps I will do it. But my problem is the following:
rc + mail provider = not working
nextcloud + mail provider = working
Neither rc nor my mail provider can tell me why. So I came to test different providers and gmail works. I’m not entirely happy with that combination, but for now it does the job.
I just wanted to let you know that I found a workaround. And for those who are experiencing similar issues: try another mail provider
Best,

Yes, the mail configuration is a source of eternal joy. Personally I would set up a small mail server on the Rocket.chat server, e.g. ssmtp under Linux and send the mails unencrypted to this local mail server and then handle the forwarding via a smart relay. This is especially with regard to STARTTLS much less burdened with problems and as a side effect you have a nice mail log file.