SlackBridge no longer working since v3.15.0

Hello, we had an automatic upgrade from v3.14.4 to v3.15.0 and SlackBridge stopped working. Which is a very big issue for us since we work with another company using this bridge all day long.

I tried to rollback to 3.14.4 by changing the tag in docker-compose.yml and rebuilding the containers but Rocket.Chat throws “Can’t find migration version 225” which I guess is not surprising since mongodb’s structure/schema must have change between 3.14 and 3.15.

If we restore a mongodump backup from before the upgrade we are going to lose a few days of data which is something we would really like to avoid.

This is is errors we get in Rocket.Chat log at the start of the server:
[WARN] @slack/client:WebClient:0 http request failed self signed certificate

And this is what we get when someone posts something in the Slack:
server.js:204 SlackBridge ➔ Slack.error Unhandled error onMessage Error: Not enough permission
at validateMessage (app/lib/server/functions/sendMessage.js:151:10)
at sendMessage (app/lib/server/functions/sendMessage.js:165:2)
at RocketAdapter.createAndSaveMessage (app/slackbridge/server/RocketAdapter.js:499:5)
at SlackAdapter.processNewMessage (app/slackbridge/server/SlackAdapter.js:830:17)
at SlackAdapter.onMessage (app/slackbridge/server/SlackAdapter.js:453:9)
at app/slackbridge/server/SlackAdapter.js:108:11
at runWithEnvironment (packages/meteor.js:1286:24)

Is there any way to fix this without losing days of data ?

Server Setup Information

• Version of Rocket.Chat Server: 3.15.0
  • Operating System: Debian
  • Deployment Method: Docker
  • Number of Running Instances: 1
  • DB Replicaset Oplog: enabled
  • NodeJS Version: v12.22.1
  • MongoDB Version: 4.0.24 / mmapv1 (oplog Enabled)
  • Proxy: traefik
  • Firewalls involved: iptables managed by Docker

Another question :
Is there a procedure documented somewhere to manually migrate mongo documents from one Rocket.Chat install to another?
(mainly messages and attachments but anything else really)
Like which collections are use for which purpose.
Timestamps or other gotchas to take care of, etc.

A workaround: Add the “bot” role to all of the users coming from Slack that were automatically created on the Rocket.Chat side by SlackBridge.

My question regarding documentation about a manual rollback/downgrade procedure in mongodb still stands.

This might give you some clues:

Getting stuff out of GridFS is a must on any sensible system IMHO!

I guess you are 3id0 on github ?

As far as reverting your mongo, unfortunately it is backups only. The schema gets changed, sometimes (not absolutely always), at which point I don’t believe you can revert it (not that I have ever seen over a few years here)

Indeed

I was hoping (before learning about the workaroud), to use a 5 days old backup (still using v3.14 so before the problematic update and potential schema change) in a new mongo container and then copy paste the appropriate mongo documents from the v3.15 production container to the new mongo container that still uses the v3.14 schema and once all my data was migrated, lock the version/tag to 3.14 and use that new mongo container as the production server. But I’m thankful for the workaround and glad I didn’t have to attempt any of this… Would you advise against something like this?

I already migrated from GridFS to filesystem but thanks for the reminder. Next time I need to restore things in mongo I will check this script then, thank you. And thank you for making Rocket.Chat!

Personally I wouldn’t mess with a DB - end of story. Way too many things to go wrong - little tiny things with big consequences once day…

If it is just docs then you can get those out and I am sure you’d be OK with a little messing about if you really know what you are doing.

In my case I wouldn’t touch with a barge pole :rofl:

I do under stand the issue - you backup, upgrade, think it is OK, and 3 days later finally figure out there is an issue. Can’t go forwards, can’t go back.

In general terms on my own small systems I wait for at least a point release before upgrading (3.15 unusually didn’t have one). I always keep a good eye on bugs and wait to see what rolls in. If the coast is clear after a week or two I upgrade.

Note that after he React frontend upgrade we are more focused on bugs/stability/UI fixes at the minute.

I’d just dispense with GridFS entirely and use local storage via a mapped volume. That’ll save you quite a bit of performance.

You can run that, get it all out, and then forget about it - your DB backups will be a little bit smaller :wink:

On behalf of everyone at Rocket.Chat thank you very much. It is nice to be appreciated!!

Sorry, by documents I meant this: https://docs.mongodb.com/manual/core/document/

But yeah I get your point though… it looks like we need a better upgrade strategy indeed!

Yep, as I said, I already did that :wink: (using the very same python script you linked to btw) sorry if I wasn’t clear.

Thanks again for all the advice,

Cheers

No worries - glad you got it all sorted!!

Upgrades - yes they are tricky :slight_smile:

All the Ps…

“Prior Preparation and Planning Prevents P*** Poor performance” :wink: