Rocket chat windows does not support table or tabular format copied from excel/xls files

Description

Hi Folks,

This is Mahipal Jhala, I am learning rocket chat and have installed latest community version of Rocket chat on one of the linux server.

During evaluation, I found that while we copy & paste excel table inside chat window to send table details to other user it converts into text format and doesnt support table/tabular format.

This is something very critical requirement for the operations to use any chat server.

I tried to find configuration settings on admin however i unable to find how can that be enabled or supported.

Can someone help me know if that that is possible and how can it be achived?

Thanks in Advanced.

Regards,
Mahipal

Server Setup Information

• Version of Rocket.Chat Server: 5.2.0
  • Operating System: Ubuntu 20.04.5 LTS
  • Deployment Method: Ubuntu/Debian Manual Deployment
  • Number of Running Instances: 1
  • DB Replicaset Oplog: 5.0.13 / wiredTiger (oplog Enabled)
  • NodeJS Version: v14.20.1
  • MongoDB Version: 5.0.13
  • Proxy: nginx
  • Firewalls involved: No

Regards,
Mahipal

Hello Experts,

Is there anyone can assist me on the issue i mentioned.

Appreciate your response.

Regards,
Mahipal

Hi @mahipal_adv !

I am afraid that our table support is broken right now :grimacing:

Thanks for pointing it out! I have warned our team already!

Hi @dudanogueira,

Appreciate your response and sadden to know that its broken.

However, is there any workaround or some timeline when this can be fixed as this is something basic requirement for chat solution at our operations so it would be very helpful if we get some fix or workaround or tentative timeline for fix.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Mahipal

I brought this to attention of our team.

I believe we can include this in our upcoming GSOC participation.

Hi @dudanogueira ,

Can you help me know when GSOC participation is going to held so i can check after that in case the solution is rolled out and ready to upgrade Rocket chat to get that feature.

Regards,
Mahipal

Hi!

This probably will take some time… you can check all the process going on here:

We usually publish the selected projects in our docs page, like this yeat’s edition:

Thanks!

Hi @dudanogueira ,

I just checked the URLs provided however unable to see the Excel/table support feature requirement or bug reported there.
Do you think i need to post anything there n the community channel or just wait and watch when the fix is available.

Regards,
Mahipal

Ah, sorry. I was probably not clear.

This is just an idea to propose for GSOC 2023. I told already our devs about this potential project.

Unfortunately it’s not guaranteed. As it is a nice project/feature, it may com thru.

Thanks!

One thing that could be done, is to open a feature request and describe this feature here: Sign in to GitHub · GitHub

Hi @dudanogueira,

Thanks for your response and this is definitely going to be helpful for me to strategies things at my level.

Regards,
Mahipal