Multi-org instances

There’s a long discussion in GitHub about making RC able to support multi-tenant deployment models.

https://github.com/RocketChat/Rocket.Chat/issues/658

This is something that my team really wants - our deployment model requires us to spin up multiple instances, but each has very low number of members and low usage. Currently each RC instance consumes significant resources which is inefficient.

We need to design an approach where we can consolidate our RC instances into more efficient structures - ideally we want to run a single RC app instance serving multiple separate organisations. NB this is different and separate to the ‘teams’ concept

So this is something that having multiple teams and having channels that belong to teams and can’t be seen by other teams wouldn’t work?

How would you access the other orgs? Would each one have their own url? No cross talk at all?

Currently we need our orgs to be accessible via separate URLs, and we do not need to support any cross-org discussion. Maybe its conceivable that a teams model might actually be able to deliver this usecase and might be the path of least resistance?

We do also have separate plans for a future deployment model that aligns well with the single-org & multi-teams approach, but we’re not quite ready for that yet, and even when we do get there, it will be in addition to our existing separate org deployment requirement.

So I guess that means that I want both multi-org and multi-team model, but I want multi-org first!

I understand these are not trivial requirements, but I’m keen to understand what appetite exists for these deployment models among the RC community and, hopefully find ways to progress both of them.

Multiple instances combined with federation would be very cool.

2 Likes

Matrix/Riot released a concept called “communities” end of last year:

Maybe something like this can be incorporated into RocketChat to enable multiple organizations on the same server.

Looks like this a killer feature for a lot of users (including me)

3 Likes

Yes! Love the idea of this.

It would be nice if we could add different domains for the access endpoints. So org1 could be org1.com for example, whereas org2 could be org2.com, or even org1.orgprovider.com or org2.orgprovider.com.

I see that this feature is under progress as it is under their Roadmap. This is the issue URL. https://github.com/RocketChat/Rocket.Chat/issues/658

Is there a branch that we could evaluate what has been done so far with the multi-org/team development, as we have a need for this