Hard to find good channels to join in a big org

I just signed in to open.rocket.chat, and I’m faced with this:

I’m at a loss here. How am I supposed to find the default channels where most of the chatter is going on?

Some things I’m sorely missing:

• A list of all channels, by default sorted by most members but ideally with other sort options (e.g. people online right now, or amount of messages posted in the last day/week/month)

• A short list of the default, officially sanctioned channels operated by the Rocket.Chat team.

Hi @erlend_sh,

A list of all channels, by default sorted by most members but ideally with other sort options (e.g. people online right now, or amount of messages posted in the last day/week/month)

This is going to be addressed in [Bug] missing "More channels..." link in left navigation bar · Issue #8571 · RocketChat/Rocket.Chat · GitHub and is scheduled for the 0.61.0 release.

A short list of the default, officially sanctioned channels operated by the Rocket.Chat team.

For this there’s nothing I know of, but it might be worth suggesting it to the developers. Yet I rather see this in the domain of the respective RC admin to mention default channels on their /home page.

Cheers
Thomas

Yes please check this out. Our designer is trying to fit discovery / channel sorting etc into the channel list. A quick shortcut to the mockups: [Bug] missing "More channels..." link in left navigation bar · Issue #8571 · RocketChat/Rocket.Chat · GitHub

As well as working on the layout of the discovery page.

I think people want to put their own content on their home page. We hear this a lot of someone wanting to put x or y on their home page. Maybe we could offer a widget of some sort for them to use on the home page while allowing them to still customize to their own likes

For our own server… We for sure should put a list of channels. From a community standpoint for sure harder to find the appropriate channel.

1 Like