GUI keeps crashing for single user after update

Description

After I updated our RocketChat instance from 6.1.4 to 6.2.0 one user reports that he cannot access the Server anymore, neither by browser (Chrome, Firefox) our Electron-Client.
After he logs in the Client crashes with the message: Application Error The application GUI just crashed.

Server Setup Information

  • Version of Rocket.Chat Server: 6.2.0
  • Operating System: CentOS Stream release 8
  • Deployment Method: docker
  • Number of Running Instances: 1
  • DB Replicaset Oplog:
  • NodeJS Version: v14.21.3
  • MongoDB Version: 5.0.17 / wiredTiger (oplog Enabled)
  • Proxy: traefik
  • Firewalls involved:

Any additional Information

The developer console in Chrome also logs a not very helpful message: [sprintf] huh?.

We already tried deleting the browser’s cache and using incognito tabs without any success.

We observed the same problem here with a handful of users. A collegue debugged it in so far as we found out that some banners were producing errors (those bars at the top of the client telling you about updates etc.). So we went into the user’s database entry in MongoDB and below services emptied the banners array key. The users could use the chat again, however this entry gets rewritten after some time and today I had to do the same thing again.

Another user also complained again about the problem. The banners entry I emptied looks like this (if that helps to find the error):

    banners: {
        mongodbDeprecation_4_4_15: {
            id: 'mongodbDeprecation_4_4_15',
            priority: 100,
            title: 'MongoDB_Deprecated',
            text: 'MongoDB_version_s_is_deprecated_please_upgrade_your_installation',
            textArguments: [
                '4.4.15'
            ],
            modifiers: [
                'danger'
            ],
            link: 'https://go.rocket.chat/i/mongodb-deprecated'
        }
    },

Also the mobile client (at least Android, I haven’t tested others) is not affected by the problem.

Worked for me, thank you! Here’s a description on how to fix the problem using mongosh for those interested:

  1. Connect to Rocketchat-DB:
use rocketchat
  1. Empty the banners entry of the affected user:
db.users.updateOne({username: "johndoe"}, {$set: {banners: {}}})