"Full Name" on user side is wrong

Description

This seems like a bug but figured I’d ask about it here first:

The “Full Name” that’s shown when I click “View Profile” on a user shows only their username - the correct full name is shown in admin but not in the user chat interface

Server Setup Information

Version 3.12.1 / installed as a snap
Ubuntu 20.04

Any additional Information

This seems wrong:

Screen Shot 2021-03-15 at 4.12.18 PM

Forum won’t let me post the admin view in my original post so adding it here:

Admin view which appears correct:
Screen Shot 2021-03-15 at 4.14.46 PM

Hi @billynoah ! Welcome to RC Community!!

Hope you find all you are looking for and more!

Regarding your issue, when you login as a regular user, are you able to other accounts’ full names?
When you initiate a chat as a regular user, with another regular user, are you able to see its full name?

If you are only able to see anyone’s full name when logged in as an Admin, there might be something wrong. My first suggestion might be to restart the RC workspace/instance.

Following that, it would be good to double check permissions under Administration > Accounts > Default User pref > Hide Usernames.

Stay safe!

No

No

Doesn’t help.

Doesn’t help.

Bruno - did you look at my screenshots? Are you able to see a user’s full name under the “full name” section on the front end user info? If so, can you please post a screeshot? At this time, I’m assuming this is a bug and have filed a bug report/issue on github here: User info shows username instead of full name · Issue #21129 · RocketChat/Rocket.Chat · GitHub

Hi Billy,

I’ve shared with our internal team just now to check for any other thoughts on this.

Thank you for sharing!

I just wanted to throw in that I’m experiencing this on 3.16.1
I sync my usernames from LDAP with the “cn” field of the ADDS object
I pull the name field into RocketChat from the “description” field in ADDS

When I go in as admin to the user management section I can see all usernames and name fields are populating correctly.

When I try to lookup a user via membership of a channel (what a normal user would see), the “full name” field appears to be populated by the back end “username” variable.

This is pretty problematic as it means no one can tell who anyone else is as all they’re shown is a generic ADDS username account. I’ve made sure that users have permissions to see / lookup full user info and channel info under the relevant section too.

Did this get fixed in a later version?