Enforcing Registration Requirement to Utilize Push Gateway

Rocketeers,

After analysing with the team your concerns on this thread we wrote an Update on Registration Requirement to Utilize Push Gateway to address most common questions.

I’ll address some specific comments later here, so just bear with me.

The privacy implications of the alert system used to send you this update message are going to be discussed here.

Thank you all for the feedback and help we continue to build a better platform and a company to support it.

Regards,

Gab

Most definitely. We are constantly reinvesting all our revenue and much more into the product. We do have to keep our burn rate at control, so we depend on raising our revenue at this stage to add more developers to the core team. I trust the community understand that support the project financially is key to our success on making the platform better and longevity of the project.

Thanks for the feedback and ideas. We will make some of those changes to report on and allow better control on how much push notifications are being sent, before we impose any caps.

I’m for one, have receiving all too many notifications, so I notifications should only be sent when a user gets mentioned. This was the default behaviour for a long time, but we changed it due to community request. It is still a setting on the admin panel that can change the default behaviour for the whole server.

Thanks. To me the way notifications should best work is really specific to the channel. Some channels I absolutely need a notification for every single message that hits the channel. Other channels I really only need one notification that something was posted there every hour or so.

If it seems too difficult to make the controls that fine-grained, the one filter that I think you could / should really apply across the board is not to trigger multiple notifications from the same user in the same channel when they are rapidly posting one separate sentence after another into the channel. Maybe something like a blanket 1-minute throttle per user would work. A lot of people seem not to understand that you can create separate paragraphs within a message (e.g. by hitting shift-return on desktop) and so they make each paragraph - or even each sentence - of a long-ish message a separate post to the channel triggering many notifications in a row within a very short time. If there were just one thing RC developers could give me, throttling that situation would be a great gift.

1 Like

So true… I like your idea. We have already a queue, we could merge message on the queue before sending them.

Hello, well i want to sign up. But how? I don’t see a link or description how to do this.

thanks,
Jan

If you could do that and make the length of time of merging before sending a user drop-down preference per channel it would be :boom:

Take a look here: Registration - Rocket.Chat Docs

This should help getting you registered

Hi, I don’t get it. How do I register my private servers? I don’t see any options to register at the push gateway. Plz help.

Limits will be per workspace.

Goto admin->connectivity services

If shows a place to enter a token then you know you haven’t yet registered.

Goto https://cloud.rocket.chat create or login to an account. Then click add self-managed workspace. Click online.

Or better yet take a look at the guide here: https://docs.rocket.chat/guides/administrator-guides/connectivity-services

2 Likes

I’d like to thank reetp for his engagement in this topic, he’s saying what so many of us who passively read this thread are thinking. I have only registered to add my voice to his.

This news is very concerning and this tactic is predatory and a slap in the face for everyone who put their trust into this project. If you had announced this together with an alternative for us to set up our own gateways there wouldn’t be a problem here at all. This is very clearly aimed at slowly strong handing people into a monthly cash flow. I have no problem with paying for open source software but it’s not going to happen by near-extortion like you’re doing it. Just last month I’ve paid 120$ for a lifetime license for rambox for example, simply because I love the project (and ironically because they had rocket chat integration). I would have been more than willing to buy a similar license, especially if it had extra features like the eternally delayed mobile-client E2EE. But not like this. You will not find me among your customers, as I detest recurring charges - especially with a nebulous pricing scheme. My users will go without notifications and if this turns out to be a grave problem I will abandon rocket entirely and warn people to stay clear from this mess. I’ve just contacted https://www.privacytools.io so that they monitor this thread and if needed down-rank or add a warning to their recommendation of rocket chat.

3 Likes

The ability to talk to Apple and Google directly has existed since way before the push gateway was added. This will always remain an option through all of this.

https://docs.rocket.chat/guides/administrator-guides/notifications/push-notifications#self-configured

[edit] fixed link had wrong url in clipboard still :see_no_evil:

You will be able to do so, a month before you have to make any decisions. We are adding a push notification usage report on the admin panel. Only after we and the community had enough time to understand the usage, we will set and impose the final caps.

We have changed the behavior to make much more clear, and all changes are configurable on the admin channel. I for one, would make my own server to only send push notifications on mentions by default, and teach users to use the granular configuration per channel to change it for important channels.

1 Like

What do you mean? All our mobile apps are 100% M.I.T licence. You do understand that you can build your own binaries from the source code we provide and publish your own apps to the stores? Hundreds of companies have done that, especially for white-label.

How exactly? We publish all the source code for all the mobile and web clients.

Me too, but what do you suggest we do with the recurring charges we get from AWS for keeping the gateway servers running and from Google and Apple for maintaining the push notification certificates?

I am honestly surprised and disappointed by your apparent lack of empathy with the team that is working so hard to keep this project growing.

1 Like

Do I need to register if I am using my own push gateway with APN cert generated in Apple Account?

Nope this only effects those going via our push gateway. So if you’re doing your own creds and apps. Carry on this won’t effect you at all

UPDATE: We are changing the proposed free push notification limit from 1k/month to 5k/month. and splitting the sponsor plans into 2:

• 5 USD/month for extra 5k push/month
  • 10 USD/month for extra 10k push/month

And let me please explain why I use the word proposed:

The reason we are asking servers to register now, and not imposing any limits, is exactly because we don’t have enough data about usage profile to be able to confidently determine what are the right ranges. I have already stated that admins will have had the reports about their usage and trends for months before we finally decide and enforce any cap.

Based on the feedback here, rather than just using just the statistics we collected by counting unique sources hitting the server, we tried to discard test and demo servers from the calculation by removing all sources with less than 100 push sent per month and sources that only hit the service for a short period.

We are also looking into adding to the sponsorship plans, the full encryption of the push notification messages, a feature that was only available for the enterprise license, but we need to figure out some technical details about how to do so.

Seems like your entire support chain is BROKEN.

I am self hosted and am trying to create an account at cloud.rocket.chat in oder to register before July 31st. Three problems:

1. I am getting an error when creating an account at https://cloud.rocket.chat:
    An error occured! Request ID: c4290e82-311b-4af5-9dae-f01765c42800

2. I was able to create a login at https://desk.rocket.chat/ But when attempting to submit a ticket nothing happens. No error - simply no action when pressing submit. Yes I disabled all popup blockers.

3. I have no idea how to register and set up my self hosted server for push notifications.

Can you help out? I’m getting a bit nervous wondering if we may have bet on the wrong horse here.

@RPQ looks like you got the user_email_already_in_use from a potential pre-registration. If you reset your password, you should be able to log in. Use this link to request a reset: Rocket.Chat Cloud