Email authentication keeps failing

Hi Maurizio,

please don’t @ people - it is unnecessary. I get notified of things regardless les - it just means I get even more :frowning:

We really need to look at your SMTP settings in Rocket. Can you post a screenshot?

With your new provider, what is the actual mail server name?

smtp.mail2space.net or similar?

You set SMTPS, put that name in the host box, set port to 587, add the user name and password and then test.

Ok, sorry about that :sweat_smile:

I will fill the SMTP settings again and post a screenshot. Username and password of the server admin, right?

I have only made host.mail2space.net for the moment, do I need more?

If you refer to the infrastructure provider, that is mailcheap.co

Here’s the screenshot.

I have managed to reach my own email server. I do not get an authetication or protocol error anymore. However, it says that the email address is not owned by an administrator. The email that I put there is also the one assigned for system emails on the server, and the only email address on the server. On the server I can make so many admin as I want, but an admin is just a username, noet an email address, while in the RocketChat I have to fill in an email address, so I am a bit confused about what “owned by administrator” is supposed to mean.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: with the admin user it does not work, but with a regular email user is no problem

I think I am close to getting the whole set up right. Although, when I send an email to the email address in RocketChat I now get this:

Error receiving Email: Sorry, no online agents [no-agent-online]

in the logs. I was logged in testing the mail, so something is not quite right yet.

P.S. I have upgraded to v 3.16.1 in the meantime, may that be relevant.

ADDED: I have just tried turning on the directly reply to check if that might have been the problem, but I got the following error:

Exception in callback of async function: Error: Expected array for search criteria at Connection._search (/opt/Rocket.Chat/programs/server/npm/node_modules/imap/lib/Connection.js:573:11) at Connection.search (/opt/Rocket.Chat/programs/server/npm/node_modules/imap/lib/Connection.js:566:8) at IMAPIntercepter.getEmails (server/email/IMAPInterceptor.ts:99:13) at server/email/IMAPInterceptor.ts:46:11 at Connection. (/opt/Rocket.Chat/programs/server/npm/node_modules/imap/lib/Connection.js:432:7) at Connection._resTagged (/opt/Rocket.Chat/programs/server/npm/node_modules/imap/lib/Connection.js:1535:22) at Parser. (/opt/Rocket.Chat/programs/server/npm/node_modules/imap/lib/Connection.js:194:10) at Parser.emit (events.js:314:20) at Parser.EventEmitter.emit (domain.js:483:12) at Parser._resTagged (/opt/Rocket.Chat/programs/server/npm/node_modules/imap/lib/Parser.js:175:10) at Parser._parse (/opt/Rocket.Chat/programs/server/npm/node_modules/imap/lib/Parser.js:139:16) at Parser._tryread (/opt/Rocket.Chat/programs/server/npm/node_modules/imap/lib/Parser.js:82:15) at TLSSocket.Parser.cbReadable (/opt/Rocket.Chat/programs/server/npm/node_modules/imap/lib/Parser.js:53:12) at TLSSocket.emit (events.js:314:20) at TLSSocket.EventEmitter.emit (domain.js:483:12) at emitReadable (_stream_readable.js:557:12) at processTicksAndRejections (internal/process/task_queues.js:83:21)

PPS. I have the processes
SyncedCron ➔ info Starting “Generate download files for user data”.
SyncedCron ➔ info Finished “Generate download files for user data”.

running automatically every two minutes. I am not sure what they referring to, is it related to the emails? In my server logs I see a lot of node processes that get killed because of an Out Of Memory error, and these made the server crashed a few times this week. Looking at the logbooks in the RocketChat, the only processes happening on regular base are these SyncedCron, so I guess there is a good chance that those are the issues.

ADDED: I just got an automatic reply to one of the mails from my mail in the RocketChat to which I have sent the email asking what email I had sent the email to. I found it a bit funny :joy:. Things seem now to be working, I just have to figure out how to use them suitably, but that should not be a problem. The main thing I need to figure out is how to have the email shown inside the RocketChat, so that I can reed it there, but both IMAP and SMTP seem to be working fine. Thanks a lot for the help with the setup. I think the main difficulty I had my the old email server was due to their settings, because with the email server I have set up myself I did not have any problem of that sort (just failed the first couple of time because of wrong username/password combination, but after that it was fine).

EDIT: Sorry, the email reply was not automatic, was just sent by my assistant who is working remotely and saw the email before me :rofl:. Everything is working fine, she did see the email inside the RocketChat.

That’s the first issue.

So ‘admin’ has to be the login name for your email account, and password has to be the password for that account. It has nothing to do with a user on Rocket.Chat SOme email systems will let you in as just ‘user’ and some as ‘users@somedomain.com’ - it depends on your server.

From address can be the same as the login address, usually that is preferable, but you can potentially set a different ‘from’ email address. Or if your email login is just ‘user’ you may want to set a specific from address

You really need one ‘administration’ email account for notifications etc. Better to use a generic account like info@ or admin@

Using your own domain will be more advisable too.

Before you turn on ANYTHING else you need to get this right as other stuff will likely break until this is correct.

You can ignore those - they just check is a user wants to download their data and process if required. They are just notices.

Note that you CANNOT just use Rocket.Chat as an email client. It does NOT work that way.

You can can receive and answer client emails via omnichannel, but that is NOT the same as using Rocket as a regular email client. It is a team collaboration messaging service, not an email client!

For Omnichannel email you will need your email server system set up and working properly to do this.

You then need to set up Email Inboxes.

Yes, of course. I am just using the just purchased domain mail2space.net for test purposes right now.

I want to master the RocketChat better before using it in a real business context. Also, I have not migrated all my other domains yet.

I have never used an email client and I most likely never will (mantainig a physical hard drive is not my thing). But I don’t see why I can’t ditch webmails for Rocket.Chat, to a large extent if not entirely. My goals with emails are: 1) to avoid repetions, and 2) that I myself only handle emails if strictly necessary, so only the ones that people working for or with me don’t know how to handle. We had been checking out many webmail providers before discovering Rocket.Chat, but none come even close to how smooth goals 1) and 2) can be achieved with Rocket.Chat. We have been testing many possible scenarios with my PA the last 2 hours. It seems to be working superbly and to exactly fulfill our needs. I am not exactly sure what kind of limitations you are referring to, but this way of processing emails is pretty much what I have been looking for for several months already. Do I miss some important aspects that I should be aware of?

Well if it works for you like that then great!!

If this issue is solved then please mark it as solved.

Thanks.