CSV Import doesn't create users or channels

Description

When I upload an import file the summary always says 0 users and 0 channels will be created. (Messages are predicted to be created at this stage but never really created). When I run the import nothing is created and I see many importer errors in the logs.

I created a test import file with the example data from the docs

$tree .
├── channels.csv
├── general
│   └── messages.csv
├── otherChannelName
├── privateArea
│   └── messages.csv
├── random
│   └── messages.csv
└── users.csv

4 directories, 5 files
$cat channels.csv
"general","bradley.hilton","public",""
"otherChannelName","billy.bob","public",""
"random","bradley.hilton","public","billy.bob;graywolf336"
"privateArea","bradley.hilton","private","graywolf336"
$cat users.csv
bradley.hilton,bradley.hilton@example.com,Bradley Hilton
billy.bob, billy.bob@example.com, Billy Bob Jr.
graywolf336,graywolf336@example.com,GrayWolf336
$cat general/messages.csv
"bradley.hilton","1479162481336","this is a test message"
"billy.bob","1479162481654","this is another message, a test message"

Errors:

CSV Importer ➔ error Error: importer-message-unknown-user     at app/importer/server/classes/ImportDataConverter.ts:444:12     at SynchronousCursor.forEach (packages/mongo/mongo_driver.js:1141:16)     at Cursor.<computed> [as forEach] (packages/mongo/mongo_driver.js:920:44)     at ImportDataConverter.convertMessages (app/importer/server/classes/ImportDataConverter.ts:430:12)     at app/importer/server/classes/ImporterBase.js:204:20     at Meteor.EnvironmentVariable.EVp.withValue (packages/meteor.js:1234:12)     at packages/meteor.js:550:25     at runWithEnvironment (packages/meteor.js:1286:24) 

Server Setup Information

• Version of Rocket.Chat Server: 3.18.1
  • Operating System: Debian 11
  • Deployment Method: snap
  • Number of Running Instances: 1
  • DB Replicaset Oplog:
  • NodeJS Version: v12.22.1
  • MongoDB Version: 3.6.14 / wiredTiger (oplog Enabled)

Any additional Information

Couldn’t get this to work for even a simple test case. Maybe the format of the import zip file has changed?

@Jasper thanks for the detailed infos!!!

I’ll try to replicate this and do a scenario repo in order to pass it to the dev team next week!

To troubleshoot issues with importing a file, check the format and compatibility of the file with the software being used. Ensure that the file is structured correctly and contains all necessary files and folders.