Are there any plans for Rocket.Chat to support NodeJS 14 or 16?

I am running Rocket.Chat in the following way.

• Version of Rocket.Chat Server: 3.10.4
  • Operating System: CentOS 7.9
  • Deployment Method: tar
  • Number of Running Instances: 1
  • DB Replicaset Oplog: 1
  • NodeJS Version: v12.18.4
  • MongoDB Version: 4.0.22

Rocket.Chat stops in rare cases. When it stops, it throws out the following log.

Jul 8 17:51:37 rocketchat rocketchat: node: ../deps/uv/src/unix/core.c:918: uv__io_stop: Assertion `loop->watchers[w->fd] == w' failed.
Jul 8 17:51:39 rocketchat systemd: rocketchat.service: main process exited, code=killed, status=6/ABRT
Jul 8 17:51:39 rocketchat systemd: Unit rocketchat.service entered failed state.
Jul 8 17:51:39 rocketchat systemd: rocketchat.service failed.

This seems to be a problem with NodeJS, not Rocket.Chat.
I checked and the following problem seems to be occurring.

This issue has already been fixed in the NodeJS 14 and 16 series, but not in the 12 series, which is already under maintenance.

I have two questions.

1. Do you have any plan to support NodeJS 14 or 16?
  2. Do you have any way to make the current Rocket.Chat work with NodeJS 14 or 16?
    I tried to build it in NodeJS 14 from the source code, but it didn’t look easy to me.

Thanks.

Hmm, Hi and welcome :slight_smile:

I see this, and I’m going to have to ask you to upgrade. 3.10.4 is NOT supported anymore. Check here -

Rocket.Chat's Support Structure - Rocket.Chat Docs

That being said, I will answer your question in a day or two and it probably isn’t as straight forward. I’m quite new to these node/meteor/web-dev stuff if I’m being honest. Please be patient. I’m going to put this thread on my work queue first thing after posting this message :wink:

Thanks for being here, talk to you soon!

Thanks for the reply :grinning:

I did not consider upgrading Rocket.Chat as it appears to be a problem on the NodeJS side.
I would like to plan to upgrade in the future.

If Rocket.Chat has plans to support the next version of NodeJS, I was hoping to wait for that before upgrading.

Thank you for your support!

I believe they will be moving to Node 14 in due course but not just yet.

You will be far safer upgrading your version of Rocket.Chat

Your version is seriously out of date and will not get updated or fixed.

You should be on at least 3.10.7 which is the last patched version of 3.10.x - see the releases page for why. I’d be a lot more worried about that than node.