Migrating rocket from standalone to Docker. Meteor requires Node v14.0.0 or later

Description

I’m trying to move our standalone Rocket.Chat 4.3.1 running on Debian, to a Docker installation but struggle getting success.
If I try to upgrade the existing installation to 4.7.0 prior to attempting a database move, I get stuck with a “Meteor requires Node v14.0.0 or later.”.
Have tried different ways of upgrading nodejs, but I always get this error.

Server Setup Information

Rocket.Chat server Version 4.3.1
Standalone/tar installation
Debian 11
Apps Engine Version: 1.29.1
Node Version: v12.18.4
MongoDB: 5.0.6 / wiredTiger (oplog Enabled)
NodeJS Version: 12.18.4
Proxy: nginx

Is there really no documentation on how to get a successful upgrade? Surely there’s great interest in supporting as few versions as possible? I just can’t seem to get past this issue :frowning:

1 Like

Hey dude!

Found a solution because I was looking for it too. I’m running CENTOS 7.

the system doesnt recreate a symlink between /usr/bin/node and /usr/local/bin/node.

rm -rf /usr/local/bin/node

ls -s /usr/bin/node /usr/local/bin/node

when you go to start the rocketchat service, it performs a ‘$node -v’
this solved my issue

@Juju8901 Thanks for your assistance.
However, I chose to migrate to Docker-compose as recommended. Now my life will be much-much easier (I hope :grinning:)

Was it hard?

Currently doing my first install but unfortunately im using RHEL and docker engine is giving a hard time with it.

How is it working for you? Are you using docker for the instance of mongoDB and rocketchat?

Yes, and it’s working fine. Even an upgrade went smooth (Have not gone to 5.x yet though)