Appreciation post : on the use of RocketChat to bring friends together outside of the platforms

This is not a support related topic just a way to say thank you.

I have been running a little server with RocketChat for 2 years now for a group of friends and myself. At the time we made the observation that the majority of Messenger messages that we sent and received was to each others, and mainly in a group conversation we had.

We all were not big fans of using Facebook and all agreed on the fact that less Facebook in our lives and on the internet could a good thing. As i was beginning to learn how to setup a server and how to use linux for all my PC related activities, we explored a way we could have our group conversation be hosted outside of a platform.

After trying different solutions we settled on RocketChat and oh yes, we did choose wisely :smiley:

Since this time we have a dozen of friends that connect on-off to share links and thoughts in different topics we opened as channels.
Events were organised solely on our RocketChat.

Since this time it also enticed me to really learn a lot more about server administration and self hosting applications. Now i have multiple applications running and it allowed me to take a path where i need less and less of Facebook, Google, etc…

Since this time i became interested in libre communities and associations that lead projects with a goal of allowing people to use tools that empower them and don’t spy them.

All this started with our little rocketChat server i managed somehow to run via Docker when i did not even understood really what was Docker.

Now i try to engage on the github, share my thoughts about possible improv and bugs i detected, and even though my NodeJS knowledge and all that are really limited if not close to none, i’m happy to follow this project and its community.

Anyway for all that a big thank you to all the people involved in making and improving daily this great software :slight_smile: It has put me on the path of a more empowering and open Internet, more intelligent sharing and coding and inspired me to see what could a bright future on this network, and how i could do my part in all this.

Peace to you all.

5 Likes

Thank you, @Julianoe, for the feedback - it means a lot to us !!

Thank you also for choosing and sticking with Rocket.Chat, and more recently for your contributions in the community.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing! Fantastic to hear using Rocket.Chat has started you in a path of data freedom and privacy.

1 Like