Android Rocket.Chat unable to hear audio messages after latest updates

Description

after the latest android app update (9th of September, v 4.30.0.35195) the Huawei P20 phones we have (3 different ones) cannot play audio messages anymore, not even those recorded by the user on the phone.
The Desktop apps (on several PC and MAC) CAN listen to those same audio messages.
On the phones they seem empty or 0 seconds long.

Before the latest android app, the phones never had a problem.

I tried to clear the local server cache and to restart the app on every phone but it did not help.

thank you for your help!
Alex

Server Setup Information

• Version of Rocket.Chat Server: 4.8.2
  • Operating System: Raspberry Pi OS (linux) for the server, Android 11 for the problematic clients
  • Deployment Method: tar
  • Number of Running Instances: about 10
  • DB Replicaset Oplog:
  • NodeJS Version: 14.20.0
  • MongoDB Version: 4.4.16
  • Proxy: nginx
  • Firewalls involved:

Any additional Information

Hello, yes I have the same problem since the latest android update. They seem to have done this in the latest one:([NEW] Persist audio files (#4448) Ā· RocketChat/Rocket.Chat.ReactNative@f2d7616 Ā· GitHub)
All phones IOS and Android have 0 length audios. I can upload but cannot play. On PC everything is fine. I tried chaning from nginx to apache and spend hours looking at the problem. Tried multiple versions, nothing :frowning:

hello! it is ā€œgoodā€ to know I am not the only one struggling with this!

yes, I did notice that the android changelog was actually referring to the audio messagesā€¦ I guess they somehow ā€œbrokeā€ them instead of improving them. I hope they will fix it soon! :frowning:

The thing is, when connecting to the open.rocket.chat Server it is working fine. So there has to be some kind of server-side solution, but I did not find one so far.

All files (Videos, Images) are working fine, recording is working fine because I can see it on the Server.
When loading the audio files from the server with the app the Access Log of Apache is actually empty for the audio, so there is not even an request to load it from the serverā€¦

So in the issue (Android app can't play audio messages Ā· Issue #4534 Ā· RocketChat/Rocket.Chat.ReactNative Ā· GitHub) someone said something about the port (I have 3001), so I changed the vhost to another domain without port and all audio files work again. So likely you could also remove the port as a quick solution

2 Likes

thank you for this!
unfortunately I cannot change the port on the server because of the reverse proxy.
It seems the team is aware of the problem and I hope they will fix it soon.

Hi! Just to update that a FIX is on the way! :tada: