Android app 3.5.1 update issue - Post Mortem

3.5.1 Android Native app is up and running

Starting from the upside, we are glad to announce that the application is now operational and no damage is done.
However, we have to ask all our Android users to reinstall the app and re-log in to their servers, as many of you have done by this time. So far no major issues have been detected with the latest app version. If you still experience any interruptions, please reach out to us at support@rocket.chat for help.

What happened with the update?

As much as we strive to deliver a seamless service, yet we are discovering that there are a few things that are really fail-safe.
Lifting the veil, we have been cherishing an idea to migrate all our Android users to our React Native application (aka Experimental), and we still hope to have this done on a short-term horizon. In order for us to provide a smooth transition, we should have had specific data organized in our native application to spare our users’ time and effort on re-adding their servers in the new application and signing in again.

A bitter piece of our experience shows that the changes that could have done the trick are irreversible. Well, not in a sound way. Basically, before we launch the Rocket.Chat native application, we should have included a certain identificator which was supposed to be used by another app in future (Experimental in our case) to borrow the users’ access details and servers, so that the migration would happen almost unnoticed to the user.
Apparently, this had been overseen as at the time of launching our first Android app we did not realize the necessity of the migration support. So, we ended up adding the required data to the latest version of Android app, hoping that it will still do its job.

However, it turned out that adding the identificator to the app after an initial install will make the application data inaccessible, as there is no way to add it through an update. That is the very reason why the update would fail for our Android users. Thankfully, deleting and reinstalling the application is still a workaround.

We’ve learnt from this experience and hope that the inconveniences caused by the hiccough to our Android users have not been critical.
We’d like to bring our sincere apologies for the interruptions to those who were affected, and assure that we’ll do our best to ensure smooth updates in the future. Thank you for staying with Rocket.Chat and for your continuous support!

Stay tuned for future updates. Let’s keep the :rocket: flying!

8 Likes

Guys, seriously don’t sweat this. I understand the pain and think you guys are handling it well.

This post helped to clue me into the experimental version of the Rocket Chat app on Android. It is nice, and I especially like how we have chat message grouping now. I also think the location of video, and audio calling options make much more sense.

Keep up the great work! You all are rock stars!

6 Likes

Thank you for your kind words @2disbetter

Feedback like yours keeps us going through tough days. :hugs:

Dear All,

Firstly, congrats on the new mobile apps. I always used the React-Native approach of the Android app, and it is excellent. It would be even better when the Jitsi integration will be available like in the native (Swift+cocoapods) iOS version to make audio/video calls.

Keep the good work.
Thank you!

1 Like

Thank you @laszloborbiro, it’s good to have your support while going through some pains :relieved:
We are trying to make the apps better with every release. The Jitsi conferencing functionality will be available in 1.20.0 Android React.Native app release :wink:

2 Likes