We just released the first alpha of our brand new Android app. It includes a major redesign and many of the features you were expecting. Since this is our first alpha, you may expect to see some bugs and some weird behaviours, but I can assure you we’re doing our best to have a super solid, reliable and fast Android app for you. Here are some of the major features:
- New chat list, showing the last message;
- Emoji keyboard;
- Super fast and reliable connection, not requiring you to have a stablished WebSocket connection in order to receive updates, send messages, etc;
- Unread marker on the list of messages;
- Date separator marker on the list of messages;
- Authentication with LDAP, CAS, E-mail and Username (we’re working hard to have all the OAuth methods and SAML in the next release);
- 2FA support;
- Edit profile;
- Update password;
Actions in a Message (see Add reaction? )
So far, we had lots of issues opened and being closed during the development, many of you from the community are helping us and here’s the list of everybody that merged some code into this alpha version (THANK YOU ALL!!!):
Found any bugs?
Please, see if there’s any issue opened already covering your issue. If not, open a new issue here (https://github.com/RocketChat/Rocket.Chat.Android/issues) identifying that you’re using the version 2.0.0-alpha1.
Want to help us testing it?
If you’re willing to give it a try, please sign to our Alpha program in Google Play by going to our Google Play page at the bottom of the screen you’ll see an announcement.
To download the app from Google Play, you can come here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=chat.rocket.android
If you want to directly download the app, you can download it from our releases page: https://github.com/RocketChat/Rocket.Chat.Android/releases/tag/v2.0.0-alpha1.
For more information, please see here: https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/7003180?hl=en