Two NPM warnings during manual upgrade process

Description

I just upgraded to the latest version of Rocket Chat and the npm install part generated a couple of warnings:

npm WARN deprecated node-pre-gyp@0.15.0: Please upgrade
to @mapbox/node-pre-gyp: the non-scoped node-pre-gyp
package is deprecated and only the @mapbox scoped package
will recieve updates in the future

> fibers@5.0.1 install /tmp/bundle/programs/server/node_modules/fibers
> node build.js || nodejs build.js

`linux-x64-83-glibc` exists; testing
Binary is fine; exiting
npm WARN lifecycle meteor-dev-bundle@~install:
cannot run in wd meteor-dev-bundle@ node npm-rebuild.js (wd=/tmp/bundle/programs/server)
added 157 packages from 85 contributors and
audited 157 packages in 15.465s

4 packages are looking for funding
  run `npm fund` for details

found 0 vulnerabilities

Server Setup Information

• Version of Rocket.Chat Server: 4.8.2
  • Operating System: Linux
  • Deployment Method: manual
  • Number of Running Instances: 1
  • NodeJS Version: v14.0.0
  • MongoDB Version: 4.2.12

Any additional Information

What do those warnings mean? Is there something I need to do? I don’t see any issues with our Rocket Chat server but I want to avoid possible problems.

Hi!

As you are using the manual install (not recommended, unless you know what you are doing), you become responsible for all versions of the stack you are running.

You will need to check if the version you are upgrading to are using a newer version of those warned dependencies, and upgrade it accordingly.

We strongly suggest you to run it using Docker or, for bigger deployments, Kubernetes as those deployment will take care of dependencies for you, using the very same image that the majority of our users are using.

THanks!

Yes, this is a manual installation. I can try migrating to Docker but I will need some time to be sure about the migration.

Sure thing. Feel free to contact hang out at our Community Support Channel if you need further assistance: Rocket.Chat

1 Like

Sounds good. Thank you!