SNAP NEWS - Rocket.Chat 2.1

The next snap release will bring your current RocketChat server to version 2!

It will also upgrade two important dependencies, node and mongo.

We will be releasing it next Thursday Oct, 31st, and it will auto refresh as usual.

We added a functionality to allow you to make a backup of your RocketChat server database on refresh, please check first that the space needed for the backup is available in your system, and then run this command below if you want to backup your database before mongo upgrade automatically:

snap set rocketchat-server backup-on-refresh=enable

In case you prefer to do a manual, not automated, database backup, you can always run:

systemctl stop snap.rocketchat-server.rocketchat-server (and wait for the service to fully stop)
systemctl status snap.rocketchat-server.rocketchat-server
snap run rocketchat-server.backupdb
systemctl start snap.rocketchat-server.rocketchat-server

No matter which method you decide for backup, your backup files and logs for the backup process, can be found at /var/snap/rocketchat-server/common/backup/

Thanks!

Update: If you didn’t see these recommendations and ran into an issue please see below

https://forums.rocket.chat/t/snap-news-rocket-chat-2-1/4890/14

2 Likes

Any news on this (like a time it will go live?)
Currently im wearing a great pumpkin costume sitting in my office looping the snap update command until its at 2.1, im desperate here!!!

1 Like

hahaha, we’re here patiently waiting as well!!

1 Like

Hello guys, sorry to cut off the enthusiasm, we had some cases reported that weren’t still in the last stable revision needed for this upgrade to work.

We are delaying the release a couple of days, it will be released next Tuesday.

You should be running the current stable revision, 1416. This revision makes sure the mongo feature compatibility version is on version 3.4 before upgrading mongo to version 3.6.

You can check the revision you are currently running with this command:

snap list rocketchat-server

and the current mongo feature compatibility version with:

rocketchat-server.mongo --eval "printjson(db.adminCommand ({getParameter: 1, featureCompatibilityVersion: 1}))"

Please ensure you have a backup of the database or enable backup on refresh, and in case you are running the latest revision and the right compatibility version 3.4 is set, you can choose to refresh from candidate which already has RC 2.1.1 with:

snap refresh rocketchat-server --candidate (backup first please)

Thanks for your patience

2 Likes

@lucia.guevgeozian

Thanks for the update on the new SNAP version. Appreciate the delay in order to fix some issues. Keep up the good work.

1 Like

So i checked the things you mentioned and they all lined up, so i ran the release candidate update, and now im getting Caddy errors, is that expected? I included the output of the errors below (looks like it cant find the caddy file)

-- Logs begin at Fri 2019-10-25 12:05:32 EDT. --
Nov 01 12:01:29 rchat systemd[1]: Started Service for snap application rocketchat-server.rocketchat-caddy.
Nov 01 12:01:29 rchat rocketchat-server.rocketchat-caddy[3673]: 2019/11/01 12:01:29 loading Caddyfile via flag: open /var/snap/rocketchat-server/1414/Caddyfile: no such file or directory
Nov 01 12:01:29 rchat systemd[1]: snap.rocketchat-server.rocketchat-caddy.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Nov 01 12:01:29 rchat systemd[1]: snap.rocketchat-server.rocketchat-caddy.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Nov 01 12:01:29 rchat systemd[1]: snap.rocketchat-server.rocketchat-caddy.service: Service hold-off time over, scheduling restart.
Nov 01 12:01:29 rchat systemd[1]: snap.rocketchat-server.rocketchat-caddy.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 5.
Nov 01 12:01:29 rchat systemd[1]: Stopped Service for snap application rocketchat-server.rocketchat-caddy.
Nov 01 12:01:29 rchat systemd[1]: snap.rocketchat-server.rocketchat-caddy.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
Nov 01 12:01:29 rchat systemd[1]: snap.rocketchat-server.rocketchat-caddy.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Nov 01 12:01:29 rchat systemd[1]: Failed to start Service for snap application rocketchat-server.rocketchat-caddy.

UPDATE: So I couldnt get it to work (i tried going back to the stable version). In the end it would say that the main rocketchat-server snap was “inactive (dead)” and wouldnt output anything to the logs, etc. Luckily, as lucia recommended, i have good backups, so i reverted the whole vm to the latest backup and its all working…but i am very curious how to go from my 1.3.2 to the release candidate without borking up my install, lol

Were you using Caddy before?

Not that i am aware of. I believe we were using nginx as the webserver…we definitely dont use caddy for the SSL config (thats on our inbound proxy server). After we did the update i could see the server and the mongo service running but got an error from my webserver :frowning:

ok, you probably had that error before in the logs too, it’s just caddy service failing because no configuration set, which in your case is ok, the service is installed anyway with the snap but will be inactive in your case

I just read the update, so at the beginning rocketchat and mongo were up and then you experience a problem with rocketchat? or you installed from stable again because of the caddy error?

Based on those logs it looks like only caddy was failing. This is normal if you aren’t using caddy. We are looking for a way with snap to maybe handle this better. But unfortunately registering the service can’t be dynamic. So its always enabled it just will fail to start.

Doesn’t effect anything else but its self. As Lucia said its been this way for a while now

Thank you @lucia.guevgeozian and @aaron.ogle for your help. I am not sure what went wrong during the update but i was no longer able to access Rocket Chat (despite it indicating that it was running). I tried to revert back to the stable version, but that made my snap “Inactive (dead)”, in the end, i reverted from an image based backup I had, no big deal, I should have kept better notes on my update attempt.

That said, its the “next tuesday” mentioned previously, any new update on the new update? Im working on migrating my RocketChat instance from Snap to “regular” if you will but that is a more involved process and my infrastructure isnt ready for it yet, so im stuck just mashing refresh on my snap for the time being.

Thanks again everyone, you’re the best!!!

1 Like

Hello, Rocket.Chat 2.1 was released to the stable channel :slight_smile:

Full release notes: 2.1.0 / 2.1.1

1 Like

53 posts were split to a new topic: Snap 2.1 Update Issues

Please see:

For fixes to update issue.

Is there a release date for Rocket.Chat 2.4 on Snap?

„Communication disruption can mean only one thing - invasion. „
Frankly speaking - this Discourse feels quite - abandoned?

Hi! sorry guys, expect new snap for this week

2 Likes

Still no new version? :confused: