Shows all as online

After the penultimate update, all users remain displayed as online. Even if nobody has the PC on, they are still displayed as online or busy.

Was there a change or do you know what I can do?

It is really stupid if someone is online, but he is not at work.

Server Setup Information

Server Version 5.4.0 Debian
Client Version 3.8.14

Same problem here!

Server Version 5.4.1 Ubuntu
MongoDB 5.0.14
Client Browser

Hi!

That’s strange. I was not able to replicate this with a fresh new install.

Do you notice any outstanding logs? Remember to increase the log verbosity.

Thank’s

if one changes the status, it will be displayed correctly. It just does not work when one goes offline. Then the last status remains active.

Logs I would have to look, but I can not imagine since everything else works wonderfully.

Is since the penultimate update. I had hoped that the last update fixes the error, but probably I drag the now always with me around

which logs would be interesting?

We have exactly the same problem as @BiERWiESEL. Except for the wrong online status, RC runs perfectly. I took a look at the log, but found no indication of a problem.

I have now raised the log level to 2…

Had a similar issue.
There are quite some tickets related to it. e.g Deactivating a user will keep the account status online · Issue #27187 · RocketChat/Rocket.Chat · GitHub

It looks like that the users which are always online have multiple entries inside the usersSessions
table.

I have cleared all entries from that table and set every user to offline. Which have fixed the issue until now.
These are the commands which I run on my rocketchat DB:

db.usersSessions.deleteMany({})
db.users.updateMany({status:"online"},{$set:{status:"offline"}})

Best regards

There many, many open issues concerning the user status, e.g.

My instances are also affected after upgrading from 5.1.2 to 5.3.3.

In the meantime the RC devs introduced a lot of new fancy features, but this very annoying bug hasn’t been addressed yet. :smirk:

I will not change anything myself in the DB for now, let’s see what the official say about it

Unfortunately, the workaround did not work for me.

If the bug is known for such a long time, a fix should come. Is really bad if you can no longer see who is online.

1 Like

is there a fix coming from rocketchat now?

EDIT:

by emptying the db i was able to solve the problem. the only question is how long it will last.

after i had to restart the rocket.chat service, the problem is also back. Now I have to do the workaround again with deleting the sessions. Too bad that just no update comes. so the software must always be maintained

Hi!

We need to reproduce this on a fresh, clean, new docker install in order to move forward :frowning:

Can you help us on that?

Please note, this is not only happening on docker @dudanogueira We have 5.4.1 installed on a stand-alone ubuntu server and we’re experiencing it too. And this was a clean install a few months back.

Can you provide more details on what exactly you executed, please? You said “by emptying the db i was able to solve the problem.”

he means clearing the sessions from the database. This also works, but as soon as you restart the server or the services, the problem is there again.

The problem is not in Docker with us but directly on debian

@dudanogueira

Regarding this problem, we managed to isolate the point, until version 5.1.x is functional, from version 5.2.x or higher, the occurrence of the user status problem is identified. No relevant error related to the statuses was displayed in the application logs.

We performed a fresh install on with the same details as the production environment, this fresh install was run with version 5.4.2, and the status issue also occurs. In this installation, we performed the downgrade from versions 5.3.x, 5.2.x and the problem remains, when we apply version 5.1.5 the status update works correctly.

Enviroment Details
Description: CentOS Linux release 7.9.2009 (Core)
Docker version 20.10.17, build 100c701
Rocket.Chat Version: 5.1.5
NodeJS Version: 14.19.3 - x64
MongoDB Version: 5.0.12
MongoDB Engine: wiredTiger

If you need any support to simulate or information just let me know.

Regards,

1 Like

THanks @scarniel our tema is looking into that.

It would help if you could test this on latest develop branch (you can just spin up an instance using the develop tag)

THanks!

@dudanogueira

We performed the test with the version below a moment ago:

| |                   SERVER RUNNING                   |
  | +----------------------------------------------------+
  | |                                                    |
  | |  Rocket.Chat Version: 6.0.0-develop                |
  | |       NodeJS Version: 14.21.2 - x64                |
  | |      MongoDB Version: 5.0.12                       |
  | |       MongoDB Engine: wiredTiger                   |
  | |             Platform: linux                        |
  | |         Process Port: 3010                         |
  | |             Site URL: https://XXXXX  |
  | |     ReplicaSet OpLog: Enabled                      |
  | |          Commit Hash: 364a1535f6                   |
  | |        Commit Branch: develop                      |
  | |                                                    |
  | +----------------------------------------------------+

With this environment, we’ve run the status change tests for away, busy, online, logoff, and they’re all updating correctly.

1 Like

Awesome! 6.0 is coming with a lot of cool new features and fixes.

it should be released soon :wink:

we have a channel with all the brave users that help us testing release candidate versions:

Thanks you very much! We really appreciate your help!