RocketchatCTL multiple instances on one server for different websites

Hi,

I’m sorry if this has been asked before or sorted out some other way already.

My question is, is it possible to set up two rocket chat servers on one physical server with CTL? Is the server port bound, like would it be enough to give the ctl install a different port and that would be that or are there more steps to it? If so could you please maybe give me a hint how to go about it.

Servers are getting more and more powerful these days and having just one instance running would be kind of a waste and in theory I would like to run multiple for multiple websites.

Hello, do you want to use the rocketchat servers for the same service, or are those 2 installation for different purposes?

If it is for the same service you are providing (to balance load), you don’t need another installation, you can just add another service file (check /lib/systemd/system/rocketchat.service) and change the PORT environmental variable, if you are using traefik or caddy from the rocketchatctl installation you may need to also change the backends to point to both services running in the different ports.

If you want a complete different installation, I am afraid even you could tell rocketchatctl to use another port for the new installation, currently you can not set the path for the installation or the database name, so it will not work, I opened an issue to add that functionality in the future.

Hi,

Yes I was more or less hoping to get another full install running on the same server.

Thank you for your response, I’ll wait if your report will be added to CTL.

How does this work when runing rocketchat by SNAPD ? can you do the same load balance ?