Language translation does not replace keys in "forgot password" email



when sending out “forgot password” emails, (some of) the keys do not get translated to proper text.
I guess something is wrong with my language settings. How should I troubleshoot this?

Server Setup Information

  • Version of Rocket.Chat Server: 5.3.0
  • Operating System: Debian GNU/Linux
  • Deployment Method: tar
  • Number of Running Instances: 1
  • DB Replicaset Oplog:
  • NodeJS Version: v14.21.1
  • MongoDB Version: v4.4.17
  • Proxy: nginx
  • Firewalls involved:


I would suggest you first to try latest version, as this might have been fixed already.

As a second solution, you can overwriting those strings using the Custom Translations (Admin > General > Translations).

Let me know if this helps.



I first tried your second option, adding

“de”: {
“Passwort_vergessen”: “Passwort Vergessen”,
“Das_neue”: “Hier kannst du dein neues Passwort setzen:”

to General → Translations

to no effect.

then I tried to update from 5.3.0 to 5.4.1 which resulted in the website being black after restarting rocketchat. So this caused more problems than it solved. I rolled back to 5.3.0 but now I’m puzzled how to proceed.


Indeed, the email messages are not being translated according to the General > Translations. Those emails body are also not following the server language (General > Language), only the the subject gets translated.

I believe we have found a :beetle:
I will be looking into this, and if that’s the case, we should open an issue about it.

As a workaround, you can change the contents of the email, removing the {strings} and setting the text you want.

Let me know if this helps.

Regarding the black screen, I would need more information on that. If you have a staging environment, is it possible to check if there are any outstanding logs both on server and browser console?


Is there some standard procedure for troubleshooting RocketChat errors/bugs? Would be good to have a quick guide with the first basic steps on how to narrow down the problems. e.g. it could explain where can I find the logs, and what kind of messages in the browser console are/look relevant…

Not that I am aware of.

Bottom line is: every client will use Rocket.Chat APIs (REST or Realtime). So I usually first check the client itself, looking for network requests and responses and it’s logs.

Then I check the server logs, with increased log verbosity (ADMIN > SETTINGS > LOG > Log Verbosity)

Also, we are planning to host a weekly live session where we will help on deployments and migrations questions, so this situation of yours would be perfect fit for that.

You can get this and other information here at our Community Channel


By the way: thanks for reporting this email issue :hugs: .

I already relayed that to our team that confirmed it as a bug. We should fix it on the next sprints.