iOS 3.0 released

Congratulations for the update. But frankly speaking, I’m less than thrilled with the new UI. I know this is a .0 release, but these are my issues:

UI of Channel list - new vs- not new

It’s really hard to tell wether there is a new posting in a channel or not. Yes, its bold - but barely visible:

One of these channels contains new messages. But which one? Hint: it’s #offtopic. The indicator of new messages needs to be way more “in your face”.

UI of channel list - channel icons

I disabled the channel icons on my chatserver, for they bear no additional meaning and just clutter the user interface with colour and form. So: how do I get rid of those in the new iOS client:

A user/server-settings option would be perfect, I guess.

UI of Channel list - compact view

We have more than 30 channels in our chat. With the new UI I can see only 8 of them on one page - there is lots and lots of negative space. Please give us an option for a “condensed” channel list view, just like in the desktop app.

UI of Channel list - consistency to webview and desktop

The color settings for the sidebar on the new channel-list ignore the ones I’ve set server-wide for the webview and the desktop app. Why? I like the “dark sidebar, white content” view very much. The new themes are “all white” vs. “all dark”. Please consider an option to take over the colors I’ve set server-wide.

UI of Channel list - sort by activity

I like the new options for grouping and sorting the channel list, good job. But there seems to be a bug in the “sort by activity” view - channels with the newest postings appear on the bottom on the list, it should be on the top? This might be a server issue, though - we’re running 0.64.2

UI of messages - swipe gesture

As I already pointed out here, the swipe gesture to get back to the channel list from a channel is not in line with iOS UI standards. Right now, it’s like this:

with a tiny small swipe-area on the user icons. On iOS, it should be like this:

With the hole message-area as a swipe-left target.

UI of compose message window

take a look at this:

there is a spelling-suggestion for the word “broken” underneath that cant the reached (the barely seable bubble).

Conclusion

Again, thank you very much for your awesome work. I know you invested lot’s of time in this release, so this might feel like a letdown. I figure most of the issues I pointed out could be fixed with option settings, so your vision on “how it should be” stays alive, but power-users like me and my team can have a more “pro” setting for everyday (hour, minute) usage where every gesture and (touch)click counts.

2 Likes