Gamify rocket.chat participation

Discourse has a nice way of encouraging users to participate through awarding badges and status recognition to forum users based on their engagement and participation.

I like the idea of a similar mechanism for Rocket.chat, where usernames could be annotated with icons to represent participation, engagement and value provided via chat - ‘top poster’, ‘afficionado’, etc

So something like getting n likes on a post could mean that user gets awarded a ‘nice post’ badge

I guess its possible to make use of the Roles tags feature to set up some custom role names which can be displayed as badges beside the username. Clumsy solution but technically easy to implement.

Feedback from other users could be gathered via the reactions emoji?

Just putting this out there as an idea…

Honestly, not a fan of the idea. This will lead to the problem of “shitposting” and general chit-chat rather than using Rocket.Chat for productivity, but I guess it depends on whether you’re running a server in a corporate environment or for the general public.

This could be an App instead of a built-in feature. You just have to think which features the Apps engine would ideally have for this (like creating & setting new roles) and open issues for them in the Apps engine repo: https://github.com/RocketChat/Rocket.Chat.Apps-engine/issues

1 Like