Cannot Login after following tutorial to change url and setup auto ssl using snaps

i have followed the snaps documentation to change url for my rocket.chat server and also set up auto ssl.

After i setup the original install, the url in /etc/hosts was

127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.1.1 host.fqdn (my hostname.domain.com)

When i tried to setup Auto SSL it did not work, and i think the reason was because of the etc/hosts file above. So I changed the /etc/hosts to the following

127.0.0.1 localhost
host.fqdn

I was able to setup Snaps AutoSLL successfully. However, when i go to browser (or desktop app)
and enter my https://host.domain.com:3000 i cannot get to the server …i get

# This site can’t be reached

host.fqdn refused to connect.

I have changed my /etc/hosts file to read the following

127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.1.1 host.fqdn
host.fqdn

however i still get the same error in browser.

Finally, I can resolved in dns lookups. For example if in command shell i type

dig host.fqdn

i get the following (edited)

root@host.:~# dig host.fqdn

; <<>> DiG 9.11.5-P4-5.1ubuntu2-Ubuntu <<>> host.fqdn
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 3416
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 65494
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;host.fqdn. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
host.fqdn. 0 IN A 127.0.1.1
host.fqdn. 0 IN A 1xx.1xx.1xx.1xx (my server external ip address)

;; Query time: 1 msec
;; SERVER: 127.0.0.53#53(127.0.0.53)
;; WHEN: Thu Dec 05 07:19:59 UTC 2019
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 87

I have also found the following when checking rocket.chat-server status…

● snap.rocketchat-server.rocketchat-server.service - Service for snap application rocketchat-server.rocketchat-server
** Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/snap.rocketchat-server.rocketchat-server.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)**
** Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Thu 2019-12-05 10:38:21 UTC; 2s ago**
** Process: 1328 ExecStart=/usr/bin/snap run rocketchat-server (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)**
** Main PID: 1328 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)**

Dec 05 10:38:21 host.fqdn systemd[1]: snap.rocketchat-server.rocketchat-server.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Dec 05 10:38:21 host.fqdn systemd[1]: snap.rocketchat-server.rocketchat-server.service: Failed with result ‘exit-code’.
Dec 05 10:38:21 host.fqdn systemd[1]: snap.rocketchat-server.rocketchat-server.service: Service RestartSec=100ms expired, scheduling restart.
Dec 05 10:38:21 host.fqdn systemd[1]: snap.rocketchat-server.rocketchat-server.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 6.
Dec 05 10:38:21 host.fqdn systemd[1]: Stopped Service for snap application rocketchat-server.rocketchat-server.
Dec 05 10:38:21 host.fqdn systemd[1]: snap.rocketchat-server.rocketchat-server.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
Dec 05 10:38:21 host.fqdn systemd[1]: snap.rocketchat-server.rocketchat-server.service: Failed with result ‘exit-code’.
Dec 05 10:38:21 host.fqdn systemd[1]: Failed to start Service for snap application rocketchat-server.rocketchat-server.

Mongodb is running btw.

ok i have narrowed the problem down (i think to rocketchat-caddy).

If i shut down caddy, i can then restart rocketchat-server.

As soon as i enable caddy, rocketchat-server fails

of course, the second i attempt to login with web browser, it the rocketchat-server immediately enters a failed state again. (with either http or https)