Unable to send mail Error: Invalid login: 504 5.7.4 Unrecognized authentication type

Hello,

I am trying to get Rocket Chat to send mail to our users. We keep getting the error message “Error: Invalid login: 504 5.7.4 Unrecognized authentication type”.

The protocol is SMTP. I’ve tried entering my username as domain\username, domain/username, username, username@domain and nothing is working.

The bottom of the error message shows “AUTH PLAIN”. I’m not sure what we are missing here.

Exception in defer callback: { Error: Invalid login: 504 5.7.4 Unrecognized authentication type at SMTPConnection._formatError (/opt/rocket/Rocket.Chat/programs/server/npm/node_modules/meteor/email/node_modules/node4mailer/lib/smtp-connection/index.js:558:19) at SMTPConnection._actionAUTHComplete (/opt/rocket/Rocket.Chat/programs/server/npm/node_modules/meteor/email/node_modules/node4mailer/lib/smtp-connection/index.js:1254:34) at SMTPConnection._responseActions.push.str (/opt/rocket/Rocket.Chat/programs/server/npm/node_modules/meteor/email/node_modules/node4mailer/lib/smtp-connection/index.js:341:26) at SMTPConnection._processResponse (/opt/rocket/Rocket.Chat/programs/server/npm/node_modules/meteor/email/node_modules/node4mailer/lib/smtp-connection/index.js:707:20) at SMTPConnection._onData (/opt/rocket/Rocket.Chat/programs/server/npm/node_modules/meteor/email/node_modules/node4mailer/lib/smtp-connection/index.js:510:14) at Socket._socket.on.chunk (/opt/rocket/Rocket.Chat/programs/server/npm/node_modules/meteor/email/node_modules/node4mailer/lib/smtp-connection/index.js:462:47) at emitOne (events.js:116:13) at Socket.emit (events.js:211:7) at addChunk (_stream_readable.js:263:12) at readableAddChunk (_stream_readable.js:250:11) at Socket.Readable.push (_stream_readable.js:208:10) at TCP.onread (net.js:597:20) code: ‘EAUTH’, response: ‘504 5.7.4 Unrecognized authentication type’, responseCode: 504, command: ‘AUTH PLAIN’ }

We ended up removing the username and password info since we did not need to send mail to non domain users and we are ok.

I discovered that Exchange 2010 does not support AUTH PLAIN. Is there a way to set RocketChat to use AUTH LOGIN instead?