Rocketchat.service failed to start, 1st time Install on CentOS

Description

Hello, I am wishing to try out RocketChat for our site as an alternative to our current chat system and I’m having trouble getting the RocketChat service to start on a CentOS server. I ran through the instructions here: https://rocket.chat/docs/installation/manual-installation/centos/ .

The process seems to go well until the part where the rocketchat.service is started. There’s no error given after running sudo systemctl enable rocketchat && sudo systemctl start rocketchat ; but the service never seems to start.

After checking it with Systemctl status rocketchat, I receive this log stating that it failed to start:

\u25cf rocketchat.service - The Rocket.Chat server
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/rocketchat.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Wed 2020-01-15 13:52:21 EST; 4s ago
Process: 27220 ExecStart=/usr/local/bin/node /opt/Rocket.Chat/main.js (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
Main PID: 27220 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Jan 15 13:52:19 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: Started The Rocket.Chat server.
Jan 15 13:52:21 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: rocketchat.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Jan 15 13:52:21 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: Unit rocketchat.service entered failed state.
Jan 15 13:52:21 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: rocketchat.service failed.

I’m not sure what I have done wrong, as the only option that has been edited in the rocketchat.service file is the ROOT_URL variable to reflect the host record we have set on DHCP that points to the rocketchat server.

This may be unrelated, but I’m wondering if the error is related to mongodb, as I did have a small problem with configuring the replica set when following these instructions: https://rocket.chat/docs/installation/manual-installation/mongo-replicas/ .

The problem I had with the replica set was due to rs.initiate() showing a value of 0 for the ‘ok’ variable instead of 1 like the instructions stated. From what the instructions say, ‘this is wrong’ but gives no indicator for how to fix and my experience with mongodb, and CentOS in general, is lacking to know where to start looking to fix this. Could this be contributing to the rocketchat.service failing?

Server Setup Information

• Version of Rocket.Chat Server: Latest as of 1-15-20? (not sure how to tell without having the web interface running)
  • Operating System: CentOS 7.7.1908
  • Deployment Method: tar
  • Number of Running Instances: 1 ?
  • DB Replicaset Oplog: rs01?
  • NodeJS Version: 8.17.0
  • MongoDB Version: 4.0.14
  • Proxy:
  • Firewalls involved: none?

Any additional Information

1 Like