• Deployment Method: docker
  • Number of Running Instances: 1
  • DB Replicaset Oplog: Enabled
  • NodeJS Version: 14.21.3 - x64
  • MongoDB Version: 5.0.22
  • Proxy: nginx/traefik/
  • Firewalls involved:

Any additional Information

Users dont recieve emails even when i have configured SMTP in admin panel. Test mail also dosnt work. They make accounts without need for confirmation.

I freshly hosted instance based on your guide deploy-with-docker-and-docker-compose
And used sample yml + custom .env

Originally i tried to do it based on : Self-hosting Rocket.Chat With Docker [Complete Guide]

And i have set up container for nginx reverse proxy but it wasnt working so i disabled it and and used treafik as you suggested in guide.

I dont know what might be the case - logs are not showing anything regarding mails.

i filled all necessary .env rules

Traefik config (if enabled)

Traefik version/image tag

TRAEFIK_RELEASE=2.9.8

Domain for https (change ROOT_URL & BIND_IP accordingly)

DOMAIN=chat.domain .com

Email for certificate notifications

LETSENCRYPT_EMAIL=admin@domain .com
LETSENCRYPT_HOST=chat.domain .com

Log has multiple errors of all sorts. Even token is wrong when i filled it properly as in guide from cloud panel.

rocketchat-rocketchat-1  | {"level":50,"time":"2023-11-12T21:55:40.298Z","pid":1,"hostname":"d64d7d4e8462","name":"System","msg":"An error occured registering with token. 'Couldn't register with token.  Please make sure token is valid or hasn't already been used'"}
rocketchat-rocketchat-1  | Error: Greeting never received
rocketchat-rocketchat-1  |     at SMTPConnection._formatError (/app/bundle/programs/server/npm/node_modules/meteor/email/node_modules/nodemailer/lib/smtp-connection/index.js:784:19)
rocketchat-rocketchat-1  |     at SMTPConnection._onError (/app/bundle/programs/server/npm/node_modules/meteor/email/node_modules/nodemailer/lib/smtp-connection/index.js:770:20)
rocketchat-rocketchat-1  |     at Timeout.<anonymous> (/app/bundle/programs/server/npm/node_modules/meteor/email/node_modules/nodemailer/lib/smtp-connection/index.js:704:22)
rocketchat-rocketchat-1  |     at listOnTimeout (internal/timers.js:557:17)
rocketchat-rocketchat-1  |     at processTimers (internal/timers.js:500:7) {
rocketchat-rocketchat-1  |   code: 'ETIMEDOUT',
rocketchat-rocketchat-1  |   command: 'CONN'
rocketchat-rocketchat-1  | }
rocketchat-rocketchat-1  | {"level":40,"time":"2023-11-13T21:16:16.113Z","pid":1,"hostname":"d64d7d4e8462","name":"DeprecationWarning","section":"API","msg":"The parameter \"query\" in the endpoint \"/api/v1/custom-user-status.list\" is deprecated and will be removed on version 7.0.0"}
rocketchat-rocketchat-1  | {"level":40,"time":"2023-11-13T21:32:03.296Z","pid":1,"hostname":"d64d7d4e8462","name":"DeprecationWarning","section":"API","msg":"The parameter \"fields\" in the endpoint \"/api/v1/users.list\" is deprecated and will be removed on version 7.0.0"}
rocketchat-rocketchat-1  |     at SMTPConnection._formatError (/app/bundle/programs/server/npm/node_modules/meteor/email/node_modules/nodemailer/lib/smtp-connection/index.js:784:19)
rocketchat-rocketchat-1  |     at SMTPConnection._onError (/app/bundle/programs/server/npm/node_modules/meteor/email/node_modules/nodemailer/lib/smtp-connection/index.js:770:20)
rocketchat-rocketchat-1  |     at Timeout.<anonymous> (/app/bundle/programs/server/npm/node_modules/meteor/email/node_modules/nodemailer/lib/smtp-connection/index.js:704:22)
rocketchat-rocketchat-1  | {"level":40,"time":"2023-11-13T21:16:16.113Z","pid":1,"hostname":"d64d7d4e8462","name":"DeprecationWarning","section":"API","msg":"The parameter \"query\" in the endpoint \"/api/v1/custom-user-status.list\" is deprecated and will be removed on version 7.0.0"}
rocketchat-rocketchat-1  | {"level":40,"time":"2023-11-13T21:32:03.296Z","pid":1,"hostname":"d64d7d4e8462","name":"DeprecationWarning","section":"API","msg":"The parameter \"fields\" in the endpoint \"/api/v1/users.list\" is deprecated and will be removed on version 7.0.0"}
rocketchat-rocketchat-1  | Error: You have not provided a mail URL. You can provide it by using the environment variable MAIL_URL or your settings. You can read more about it here: https://docs.meteor.com/api/email.html.
rocketchat-rocketchat-1  |     at packages/email/email.js:310:11
rocketchat-rocketchat-1  |     at /app/bundle/programs/server/npm/node_modules/meteor/promise/node_modules/meteor-promise/fiber_pool.js:43:40

Today including me, nobody can login because its asking for two factor auhentication.

Its also impossible to turn it off because it asks for code that cannot be send

according to Email verification not working when MAIL_URL env variable is passed · Issue #3602 · RocketChat/Rocket.Chat · GitHub

I have added MAIL_URL to .env
MAIL_URL=smtp://yourmailbox@yourdomain.com:yourpassword@smtp.yourmailserver.com:465/

But nothing helps, no forgot password mails, nor auth links.

Logs shows now:

my smpt host is on ovh, i run test on online tools

Is something wrong with OVH or meteor itself?

Did you put in a username and password in the test tool???

It needs authentication to login to the server as a valid user so it can send the e-mail

I assume you have put a bind e-mail user account in the values you’ve added to the .env and tested the username and password of that account is working and can send / receive e-mails. But I find it’s easier to use the Rocket Chat Admin web interface and goto settings and SMTP and set it from there.