Move from direct installation to snap

Hi,
since I have quite some issues updating RocketChat to 1.x I thought about moving to snaps. Right now I am using direct installation and I am doing regular backups with mongo tools. When I look at the documentation it seems like the snap backup stores the complete snap container. How would I restore just the database back into a snaps container? Will a mongo backup from 0.74 cause any issue when restored to a 1.x server?

Server Setup Information

• Rocket Chat: 0.74.3
  • Operating System: Ubunutu 18.04.2
  • Deployment Method: tar
  • Number of Running Instances: 1
  • DB Replicaset Oplog: Maybe
  • NodeJS Version: 8.11.3
  • MongoDB Version: 4.0.10
  • Proxy:
  • Firewalls involved:

You can’t restore a database from one version to another version.

So you can’t restore a 0.74.x to a 1.2.x

Backup from 0.74.3 - Restore to 0.74.3

Have you followed this?

https://rocket.chat/docs/installation/manual-installation/ubuntu/snaps/

OK, so I understand that I cant migrate the database from one version to the other but how about moving from 0.74 direct installation to 0.74 snap? How would I import the database into the snap?

Stephan

Read some of this here.

The only real issue is when moving between the two types is that snaps use a DB called ‘parties’ and others use ‘rocketchat’

Just read the documentation.

Note if you already have a mongoDB running personally I’d leave it and use just use docker with an ‘external’ DB (not a docker mongo db).

For upgrades I stop Rocket, run a mongo backup, and then do a docker update. Easy.

I’ve used it since I stopped running manual like you around v0.60 and it has so far always worked a treat.

The idea with docker is actually not that bad. Can you share your docker settings? I used the default settings but it does not connect the mongodb outside the docker. I use bridge mode.

Stephan