I want to add new custom fields to user profile in Rocket.Chat

Hi!
Rocket.Chat 0.74.2
I want to add new fields in the user profile for input and display (for example: department and city) How can I do it?
Also I want to add new fields in registration form

I’m new here and it seems like a lot of messages never get a response. Most likely someone will tell you to see the [sparse] documentation https://rocket.chat/docs/administrator-guides/custom-fields/

So you need to create a json file with fields you want. The key step is using tabs to indent the elements. It will likely just not work. without an error message. These are field I just added to my site for educators.

{
	"affiliation": {
		"type": "text",
		"required": true,
		"minLength": 2,
		"maxLength": 80
	},
	"role": {
		"type": "select",
		"defaultValue": "teacher",
		"options": ["teacher","technologist","support","librarian","administration","consultant"],
		"modifyRecordField": {
			"array": true,
		 	"field": "roles"
		}
	},
	"twitter": {
		"type": "text",
		"required": false,
		"minLength": 2,
		"maxLength": 20
	}
}

You should verify your json first using something like https://jsonlint.com/ My first attempt failed because I forgot a comma.

So the fields are set up at Administration -> Accounts -> Registration -> Custom Fields .

Saving these, I was able to have these be part of the front end registration form.

What I did not see in the docs is mention of the Custom Fields to Show in User Info in Administration -> Accounts. For my site, I entered:

affiliation,role,twitter

But the fields/values are not showing up in user profiles. At this point I don’t think the custom fields are fully functional.

It would be nice to have a better understanding if this feature is fully operational.

1 Like

If the display part isn’t working in 2.1 for sure open an issue with details

I checked it and the “Custom Fields to Show in User Info” didn’t display my custom fields until I added "public": true in JSON definition under Accounts > Registration > Custom Fields

I have the same problem - the fields are not shown in user profiles :frowning:

I’m unable to get the display part working on the browser. The custom fields do show up on the experimental iOS app, but not on the browser.

The custom fields JSON:

{
	"Age": {
		"defaultValue": "Under 18",
		"options": ["Under 18", "18 or over"],
		"required": true
	}
}

And the “Custom Fields to Show in User Info” field: is set to
The documentation also isn’t clear on how to use “public” and “private”. Logically a custom field is either private or public, but it looks like you can set both to true?

{
	"Age": {
		"defaultValue": "Under 18",
		"options": ["Under 18", "18 or over"],
		"private": true,
		"public": true
	}
}