Federation & E2E encryption are beta for quite some time - when prod ready?

Hi everyone,
I really love rocket chat and use it extensively. However, federation & encryption are both still beta for some time - these two features would IMHO create big value for many people, especially in the communities of privacy & security.
Is there any insight about when they will be production ready? Thanks for the feedback!

1 Like

Unfortunately none of the RC team answered your questions for several months, but @alan.sikora is quite into it, e.g. very active on https://open.rocket.chat/channel/federation . At least federation seems to need a lot of development and/or documention as one can see here in the forum and at GitHub.

But I also would love to use E2E encryption, but in beta status I can’t recommend the feature in my company.

These are both massive but important features. Soon! As you said they are hard at work on this.

Have we gotten any further word on this? I am seeing improvement but still so many bugs with E2E, especially on iOS.

In particular it would be good to know when search E2E messages will be possible, and also the ability to quote E2E messages.

In general E2E seems to work well except in cases where it just doesn’t. Doesn’t matter if you reset the E2E key or not, it just does not work.

So any insight into this and the roadmap would be very appreciated. I mean even if it is all just a, we are working on it.

As you may be aware Rocket is expanding rapidly. We are onboarding new devs as fast as we can but it takes time.

Both Federation & E2E are on the roadmap for improvements and I think there is new code coming over the next 2 quarters.