Upcoming changes to identity management integrations

What a pity. RC has many issues, but I lived with those, as at least it had some basic features. Now, you’re taking apart those basic features and forcing users to pay for something some of them even contributed in the past. I’m afraid you’re heading to a complete failure.

I really hope this can be forked into a proper open source project, but as for now, I’m another one who leave the boat and will look for greener fields, and obviously I won’t recommend to anyone this piece of software.

I know everyone needs to pay the bills, but in an open source business, you need to take care of the community, or you won’t last any longer. I do not know the brain behind those ‘brilliant’ ideas you had lately, but they are heading you to ruin.

In a world with ‘free’ services from the behemoths like google or microsoft, one must be more creative than forcing community members to become paid members, because you’re not the only open source solution out there, and really you’re not the cheapest one either. So, if I have to pay someone, I will pay to someone who doesn’t take profit of community contributions and monetize them.

Your product, your rules. That’s sure. But I think you’re shooting in your feet.

3 Likes

Zulip offers ldap, so does Let’s Chat.

Mattermost includes video and voice chat in the base system.

Teams has free bulk licensing, including office suite/exchange/sharepoint for non-profits and educational orgs.

I won’t get into it, but as a non-profit, trying to get what we could use from the RC organization was frustrating.
If you can bear going with MS, the whole process was quick; a few days we were up and running.

Covid was a lucky break for RC; they were able to capitalize on the desperation and quite the comminty “scene” very quickly. Congrats.

1 Like

This is very bad news. I understand the need to monetize the business to stay viable, but this is practically making the product commercial. If that’s the case, take out the open source and community reference and assume once and for all that it is a commercial product. It’s a right, at least be honest.

1 Like

We tried zulip migration feature, it did not work well. And realistically Zulip LDAP while it works it doesnt provide anything more than what has been left in rocket chat for free.
Its only ldap integration on sign in.

Nevertheless we ditched rocket chat company wide and its been one of best things that could happen to us. Zulip message organisation and ergonomics is far superior to rocket chat.

Farewell for good.

1 Like

Hello,

We are using keycloak to login.

Is the synchronisation of Roles/Groups going to be moved to the entreprise edition ?

1 Like

I guess this is officially broken now? I have a oauth that I use for my the rocket chat instance that I use for our home communications.

This is a terrible decision by management. Bring back the auth integrations!

Edit: because I want to reiterate and say what I really want to say, this is a really shitty move. This doesnt even impact you guys. The limiting of push notifications was understandable BECAUSE it cost. This was a community driven and supported application with functionality built or integrated by the community.

This is becoming a common trend. Have idea, create “open source” application, community supports, contributes and helps grow the application and create exposure, develop or integrate really useful features, gain widespread adoption, create “enterprise” edition, start removing core features from community edition eventually forcing users into either abandoning the application or cramming paid shit down people’s throats. Abandon its core user base entirely, giving them the middle finger the entire way. Its a travesty. Screw you guys.

It would be fine if it didnt screw over or abandon the user base that helped it get there in the beginning.

1 Like