Subscribing a specific AD group to a specific channel

Description

Server Setup Information

• Version of Rocket.Chat Server: 3.18.3
  • Operating System: Ubuntu 18.04.6 LTS

Any additional Information

Hello! Configured LDAP. Now, when creating a user in Active Directory, accounts appear in Rocketchat and automatically subscribe to default channels. Good. But there was a need for some groups of users in AD to subscribe not to all channels, but only to a certain one.
Tell me, is there such a way and how to implement it? Let me clarify once again: you need to configure that when creating users in a certain AD directory, they subscribe to a certain channel, and not to everything. Thank you in advance!

Hi!

Welcome to our forums!

You can do that in version 3.18.3, but bear in mind that this feature was refactored and moved to EE in 4.X:

One thing you can do is to read users from LDAP/AD and script your way with our APIs:

1 Like

Thanks for the answer! I have read the documentation on your link Identity Management (EE vs CE) - Rocket.Chat Docs
but unfortunately I didnā€™t find an answer for myself there. It describes how to add the appropriate roles to users of certain LDAP groups. But my question is not about roles. I need to subscribe the corresponding LDAP groups to the channels corresponding to them (without subscribing to the default channels). As I understand it now, all LDAP users automatically subscribe to channels with the ā€œDefaultā€ parameter when creating an account. How to make users with a special LDAP group not subscribe to Default, but subscribe to only one necessary channel? Is it possible to do this without the API?

Hi!

I believe you are after this feature, that is EE only, as of 4.X:
Auto-Subscribe to Channels: You can map any LDAP group to a Rocket.Chat channel

Thanks for the answer! Can you tell me how risky it is to upgrade from 3.8 to 4.x? can the settings suffer? or is it completely ā€œpainlessā€? I would not like the existing synchronization with AD and so on to break after the update. Where can I see the list of changes in 4.x?

Hi!

Its a good practice to have a staging environment, upgrade on it first, test on this environment, and then upgrade in production.

A part from those features, you will be able to authenticate against AD/LDAP, and manually sync those users.

You can keep track of all changes at our release notes:

Hello again. Updated to 4.8.3. But I still canā€™t find how to configure a certain group of LDAP users to subscribe not to everything, but only to specific channels. Can you tell me?

Hi!

Mapping groups to channels and teams is a EE feature:

Yes, I see that it is on the list. But I donā€™t see any links as configured. At the same time, I was confused which edition we have: community or enterprise. I canā€™t find specifics anywhere.

If you go into Admin > Info, it should give you the details about your instance.

Let me know if that helps.

Thanks!