Rocketchat issues in meteor npm install

Hello,

I’m trying to download the source code of Rocket Chat on the Ubuntu, but when i do meteor npm install, the packages show a lot of errors that they no longer exist or have been updated like:

npm WARN deprecated @types/clipboard@2.0.7: This is a stub types definition. clipboard provides its own type definitions, so you do not need this installed.
npm WARN deprecated @types/moment-timezone@0.5.30: This is a stub types definition. moment-timezone provides its own type definitions, so you do not need this installed.
npm WARN deprecated babel-eslint@10.1.0: babel-eslint is now @babel/eslint-parser. This package will no longer receive updates.
npm WARN deprecated @types/string-strip-html@5.0.1: This is a stub types definition. string-strip-html provides its own type definitions, so you do not need this installed.

how can i fix it

Hi, so we can see what is going on can you go back a bit and describe your setup please?

Hardware, OS, and how you got to this point?

I’m working on Windows 10 OS and I installed ubuntu on WSL subsystem
My Ubuntu version is 20.04.2 LTS

I installed Rocket Chat and trying to Run the command (meteor npm install) some packages are installed and I got a lot of this error kind

Hi,

can you tell us which documentation you followed?

The warnings are not important - they are just warnings. They are not fatal.

You need to show more of your logs to see where it actually fails.

I suspect you may not have enough RAM - you need at LEAST 8Gb on a native Linux system, and a lot more on Windows - more like 12-16Gb.

Please let us know what hardware you have.

Oh,

I have 4GB on windows, but why would I want all this if I was just trying to download the source code for reuse?

Because you are trying to run a development build, not a compiled version. The compiled version is still open source, but is ready to run. You have downloaded the actual code and are trying to actually build Rocket, and that takes a lot more RAM than you have.

But even running a pre-built version on WSL you are going to likely need more RAM. 4Gb is just about enough to run Windows… You could try a snap install but it is going to be very slow.

You will help yourself a lot if you get a separate machine and run Linux natively. For say Ubuntu Server you need at least 2Gb Ram. You can also use any number of cloud providers such as Digital Ocean, Vultr etc to run a version in the cloud.

So, go back to the start and tell us what you are trying to do and we can try and guide you.

Well, thanks for the clarification.

What to do is:
I am a beginner web developer, I will build a telemedicine website and I want to include a real-time chat system inside it, so I want to take advantage of the Rocket code and reuse it in my project.
Are the steps I’m doing right, or is there something else I need to do?

No problems.

You can embed Rocket in a iframe, or use omnichannel.

Neither requires you to compile Rocket.

You might be better getting a online VPS and use that to install Rocket.

Check the docs for more information.