Rocket Chat Snap Failing to Start Since Reboot/Update

Hey Guys :smiley:,

My server rebooted and it looks like SNAP may have done an update and caused something to fail, I don’t know how to fix this one.

I have connected to the rocket-chat server via SSH.

First I typed command:

sudo service snap.rocketchat-server.rocketchat-server status

And I received:

Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/snap.rocketchat-server.rocketchat-server.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: inactive (dead) (Result: exit-code) since Sat 2019-01-05 12:54:51 SAST; 24h ago
Process: 13881 ExecStart=/usr/bin/snap run rocketchat-server (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
Main PID: 13881 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Jan 05 12:54:51 carrier systemd[1]: snap.rocketchat-server.rocketchat-server.service: Unit entered failed state.
Jan 05 12:54:51 carrier systemd[1]: snap.rocketchat-server.rocketchat-server.service: Failed with result ‘exit-code’.
Jan 05 12:54:51 carrier systemd[1]: snap.rocketchat-server.rocketchat-server.service: Service hold-off time over, scheduling restart.
Jan 05 12:54:51 carrier systemd[1]: Stopped Service for snap application rocketchat-server.rocketchat-server.
Jan 05 12:54:51 carrier systemd[1]: snap.rocketchat-server.rocketchat-server.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
Jan 05 12:54:51 carrier systemd[1]: Failed to start Service for snap application rocketchat-server.rocketchat-server.

Then I type command:

sudo snap refresh rocketchat-server

And I get response:

error: cannot communicate with server: Post http://localhost/v2/snaps/rocketchat-server: EOF

I check the snap list with command:

snap list

And I get response:

Name Version Rev Tracking Publisher Notes
core 16-2.36.2 6034 stable canonical✓ core
rocketchat-server 0.71.1 1343 stable rocketchat✓ -

I have read somewhere that snap needs writable permissions to certain folders, I don’t know where to check for that. Either way, I would also please like to prevent snap from updating on its own and causing things like this.

Where do I go from here?

@CarrierClass Please check out the SNAP FAQ here:

https://rocket.chat/docs/installation/manual-installation/ubuntu/snaps/#faq

Using commands doc’d in the FAQ - what you can try is:

1. stop rocketchat-server
  2. stop rocketchat-mongo
  3. start rocketchat-mongo
  4. monitor the logs of rocketchat-mongo and wait until it starts up successfully and waiting for request; on low-resource systems this can take a couple of minutes
  5. start rocketchat-server

Thanks @sing.li

I’ve tried all those commands to no avail…

If I:

sudo snap refresh rocketchat-server

I get:

error: cannot communicate with server: Post http://localhost/v2/snaps/rocketchat-server: EOF

And If I:

sudo service snap.rocketchat-server.rocketchat-server status

I get:

● snap.rocketchat-server.rocketchat-server.service - Service for snap applicatio
Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/snap.rocketchat-server.rocketchat-server.
Active: inactive (dead) (Result: exit-code) since Wed 2019-02-06 16:13:24 SAS
Process: 1529 ExecStart=/usr/bin/snap run rocketchat-server (code=exited, stat
Main PID: 1529 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Feb 06 16:13:24 carrier systemd[1]: snap.rocketchat-server.rocketchat-server.ser
Feb 06 16:13:24 carrier systemd[1]: snap.rocketchat-server.rocketchat-server.ser
Feb 06 16:13:24 carrier systemd[1]: Stopped Service for snap application rocketc
Feb 06 16:13:24 carrier systemd[1]: Failed to start Service for snap application

Starting and stopping the snaps or services just result in the same status as above.

Where do I see logs?

Found the problem,

I’m running the snap within VirtualBox, the VirtualBox Disk ran out of space, I have since increased it but Linux “df” tool still not showing available space, now trying to find the df commands or what I can do to instruct linux to increase partition size.

Hello, i have the exact same problem with rocketchat, did you solved the issue.? I have a server installation of ubuntu. after a reboot, the rocketchat server, mongo and caddy didn’t start any more. if you found the solution, or anyone else, please let me know… i didn’t do a backup so i can’t reinstall yet… don’t want to loose all users and data…xD