Rocket chat backup and restore in docker version

Description

I need to this server restore from backup. I got the below error.
root@CHATP001:/backups# docker run -it --rm --link db -v /backups:/backups mongo:4.0.9 mongodump -h db -o /backups/mongoBACKUP
docker: Error response from daemon: could not get container for db: No such container: db.
See ‘docker run --help’.

what is the issue?

Hi.

First thing. Do NOT restore a to a different Rocket/Mongo version.

Make sure they are the same versions or it will probably break.

This is the DUMP command?

docker run -it --rm --link db -v /backups:/backups mongo:4.0.9 mongodump -h db -o /backups/mongoBACKUP

And you have this error?

docker: Error response from daemon: could not get container for db: No such container:

Do you actually have data files to restore?

Please tell us a bit more about the history of the issue. Start at the beginning please.

My rocketchat v1.3.0 running 3yers on ubuntu 16.04 . now I have upgrade on it v3.14 and ubuntu upgraded on 20.04. Actually I have no idea how it is backup and how it restore! Rocket install by docker. That’s why I am trying to my latest backup take from v1.3.0 and restore it 3.14. Is it possible ? Plz give me a idea.

That’s why I am trying to my latest backup take from v1.3.0 and restore it 3.14. Is it possible ?

No.

There are a huge amount of database updates between the versions.

I have one system upgraded from around 0.20 that is now at 3.9.x and I have upgraded it one step at a time and it is fine.

But you cannot import a 1.3.x database to a 3.14 installation. There are just too many changes.

So do you have your original database and data?

1 Like

Mongo db is new for me. My x college install it. My rocket is running in v1.3.0 and I also latest which is upgrade from v1.3.0 to 3.14. Now plz tell me what can I do? If I am trying to do this way is it ok?
how can I take backup and how can I restore ?

Hi.

You CANNOT backup 1.3 and restore to 3.14

That’s why I am trying to my latest backup take from v1.3.0 and restore it 3.14

NO. You cannot do this.

There are too many changes in the database. It will break your RocketChat.

You need to CAREFULLY upgrade your RocketChat 1.3.0 to 3.14

First you must Backup your version 1.3.x and make sure you know where the data is.

Next you must upgrade your 1.3.x installation. I suggest you do it in steps like this with a separate backup between each step.

1.3 > 1.3.2 → 2.0.1 → 2.4.13 → 3.0.12 → 3.9.7-> 3.14

So where is your backup from 1.3.0 ? Did you test the backup was OK?

Note - you will also need to convert your DB from mmap to wiredtiger.

Here is how to do this and how to backup:

https://docs.rocket.chat/installation/docker-containers/mongodb-mmap-to-wiredtiger-migration

I am upgrade RC from 1.3 to 3.14 direct by bellow command.

docker pull rocketchat/rocket.chat:latest
docker-compose stop rocketchat
docker-compose rm rocketchat
docker-compose up -d rocketchat

I dont know where is my mongo and detail. I know my Rocket.chat folder into /root path. now tell me is is it possible my upgraded RC 3.14 to latest install RC 3.14 backup and restore between them? If possible then how?

Getting the same error with the command you mentioned above ( docker run -it --rm --link db -v /backups:/backups mongo:4.0.9 mongodump -h db -o /backups/mongoBACKUP):

docker: Error response from daemon: could not get container for db: No such container:

Has this error been addressed? Thanks

PS: I also get this error when changing “db” to something else:

Error response from daemon: Cannot link to /rc_db, as it does not belong to the default network.

Please don’t try and upgrade a really old version straight to latest.

It will almost certainly break your installation. You will then need your backups.

It is not a Rocket.Chat error.

If you don’t understand how to use docker you MUST go and have a good read rather than trying to guess.

Also read this.