Export Messages to File not working

Description

I’m trying to export messages to a file from a DM/channel. When I do so, everything seems to work fine, and I receive a message to “Click here to download it,” but when I click on the hyperlink, I get a 403 error that I’m not authorized to view the page. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Server Setup Information

• Version of Rocket.Chat Server: 6.2.8
  • Operating System: Ubuntu 20.04.6
  • Deployment Method: snap
  • Number of Running Instances: 1
  • DB Replicaset Oplog:
  • NodeJS Version: 14.21.2
  • MongoDB Version: 5.0.15
  • Proxy:

Any additional Information

None

Hi @Robert

Do you have the “Protect Uploaded Files” option enabled?
If so, only authenticated users will be able to download the file

Hope this helps!

I changed that setting, and created a new file. There was no improvement. Also, I’m logged in as an admin when trying to retrieve the file.

I haven’t made much headway solving this issue, so let’s ask the question a different way. Can anyone tell me where the exported files would be located on the server if I manually FTP’d in to get them?

Thanks,
Robert

Is this working for other people, or are there not a lot of people using it?

I’ve run up against the same issue this morning. I tracked down the output file in the file system (Docker installation, so probably no use to tell you where it is), but I can’t get any sense out of it.
:woman_shrugging:

Mike,
I’m using Docker too. Where did you find the output files?

We’ve enabled the separate filestore for uploaded files (Settings | File Uploads | Storage Type: FileSystem ). The files seemed to have appeared in the uploaded files folder which for us is /rocketchat/filestore, mapped to a local folder.

I located a file with the same ID as appeared in the email link at about the time I requested it, so I’m assuming that’s the one, but…

When I tried to open it I just got a stream of gibberish, no HTML at all.

I don’t know how that will relate to an S3 system, nor do I know where the files will appear if one is using GridFS for filestore.