I am a newbie to Rocket.Chat and have started using it for a few weeks now.
We have Rocket.Chat installed on our cloud server, DigitalOcean and we are using either Chrome or Firefox to access Rocket.Chat. Our current business setup is as follows -
- We have around 100-150 internal staff who use Rocket.Chat to interact with each other
- All internal staff can direct message each other
- Only certain users like Admin, can create channels and private groups
- Apart from this we have around 200 clients (external users). They aren’t using Rocket.chat at the moment. At the moment we use emails/phone calls/WhatsApp etc. to communicate with them.
Our management has asked us for the following -
- We want our internal staff to interact with our clients, 1-to-1 via Rocket.Chat
- The client can only interact with the internal staff via predefined select channels or private groups.
- This interaction will always be 1-to-1
- The client could interact with our internal staff via mobile or web
- The client cannot direct message any other client
- The client cannot see other clients
- The client cannot create/update/remove channel or channel members
To implement the above requirements, we tried working with the permission provided in Rocket.Chat Admin, but ran into a problem.
Our internal staff John, right now can perform the following functions -
- Direct message anyone within the organization
- Create/update/remove channel or channel members
But the moment we change the permissions for John, as per our new requirements, he can no longer send direct message to everyone nor create/update/remove channel or channel members.
So we are at a point where we do not know how to proceed further.
I request the people of this forum to kindly advise us.
Since I am a newbie to Rocket.Chat, so I have been reading through the docs provided online by Rocket.Chat. While reading, I came across a section on this page Enable E2E encryption for Private and Direct Rooms By Default (BETA). More than the info provided in this section, I was curious when I saw this image -
I was interested in the left corner, yellow highlighted box.
Presently after logging into my Rocket.Chat, I don’t see that sidebar. So my second question is, what is that? Could someone please explain that to me? And also point me to some documentation where I can read and understand more about it.
Any help from you guys is much appreciated.
Server Setup Information
- Version of Rocket.Chat Server: 3.6.1
- Operating System: Ubuntu version not known to me
- Deployment Method: tar
- Number of Running Instances: 1
- DB Replicaset Oplog: Not known to me
- NodeJS Version: v12.18.3
- MongoDB Version: v4.0.3
- Proxy: Not known to me
- Firewalls involved: Not known to me